The Planted Tank Forum banner

New World 90gal Low Tech- a Pictoral Journey! 11/11- planned teardown!

122932 Views 1059 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  Karackle
Well, the time has FINALLY come, I start the final setup tonight, and hope to start planting by this weekend. I started working on this tank back in January, believe it or not- and it has become quite a project! This is going to be a VERY abbreviated pictoral journal- if you want to read through the whole thing, see the link in my Sig. There will be lots of posts at first to bring it all up to speed...

I started this with a $500 budget, and so Tank #1 was a major fixer-upper:

After some time, lots of elbow grease (involving vinegar, CLR and acetone), removing the background and refinishing the canopy and stand, I ended up with this:

Which I then promptly sold!!! Honestly, I only broke even on the deal, but I learned so much reasearching in the meantime that I was able to replace what I had with better equipment for about the same money.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Algae is over rated
1,446 Posts

· Algae is over rated
1,446 Posts
That is a nice kit that you have,and I plan to get one.
What I like about mine is that I don't have to get wet every time that I do something to my aquarium.I like to keep my hands out of the water as much as possible.I also use it to place the algae tabs exactly where I want them.I could go on and on,but you get the point.It is my most useful aquarium tool.:proud:

· Algae is over rated
1,446 Posts
With my tank depth even those don't keep me completely out of the water, though- they just let me reach the back of the tank without needing to hold my breath and go swimming :icon_mrgr
I have the 27" model,and my tank is 24".What is the depth of yours :icon_ques

· Algae is over rated
1,446 Posts
The plan I've come up with so far is to keep doing PWC, 25% every other day now, and I'm going to switch this tank to Prime and add some Purigen to the XP2. There's AC in the AquaClear but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I may also buy a media bag and replace that carbon with new... I think I can use all the toxin absorbtion I can get ATM..
Are these the only filters that you have?

· Algae is over rated
1,446 Posts
The tank is GW city.
A UV sterilizer would make your tank much more enjoyable for you.:)
You can always turn it off periodically to see if you have the GW problem corrected.That's what I did,and do.

GL!!

· Algae is over rated
1,446 Posts
(I'd have to set one up on the output of my canister since my Hydor is on the input tubing.)
An inline heater should always be installed on the output line of your filter.This is explained in the instructions.

Reactions: lauraleellbp

· Algae is over rated
1,446 Posts
The point of putting it on the outflow is to keep the water flow from getting restricted by filling up with debris and gunk. On or off, it could have the same impact.
I really don't think that this is what the folks at Hydor were concerned with.
When it is correctly installed in the vertical position there is no possibility for any debris to accumulate with this design,so restriction is not the issue.The issue is with the protein deposits which accumulate in the intake hose which would be difficult to remove from the inside of the heater,and could damage it in the process.

I so don't want to take this all apart... *sigh*
No problem...Have your husband do it.:icon_wink

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.