The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,486 Posts
I like the new plant species! How's that back feeling after planting all those little guys?

I'm not such a big fan of the driftwood, looks contrived to me. Kind of like how I build a campfire. I liked the first way better, but it's not my tank :)

Hope you're having fun with that monster tank!

· Registered
2,486 Posts
I'd really doubt you'd find H2S in a tank as new as yours. The roots growing in the substrate should oxidize and and keep the H2S at bay.

The green water conditions you are getting are triggered by ammonia presence. I've fought with it in the past, and overcame it with a blackout, and proper filtration. I'm using an XP2 on my 29 gallon tank now, and have not had green water since.

Sorry to hear about your barb and loaches. I know you were attached to those fish after having them so long.

· Registered
2,486 Posts
The tank is looking good. Have you thought about painting the intake tube of your XP filter black with some Krylon Fusion paint? I did mine a while back, and it makes a huge difference. You really can't see the thing at all now. I wish I had painted the spraybar as well, as it isn't quite as dark as the intake tube. Just gotta make sure you let it cure, which takes several days (I think it recommends 7, but I did four, and had no adverse side effects.)

· Registered
2,486 Posts
What do ya'll think?
It looks bare again. For such a mature tank it looks like it's lacking plants to me.

Have you ever thought about moving the intake pipe from the center of the tank to the far right side? It would really look better in the corner.

Plant choices are a very personal thing, but with a tank as tall and huge as yours, I would be looking for a very tall thick group of plants for the back, which your new vals may provide.

Good luck with the progress!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.