The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend threw a piece of java moss into a gallon glass jar and set it in her windowsill. No filter, just topping it off with fresh well water when needed and look at what happened! AWESOME for me since she gave me the whole thing for the new 150 set up! cool:icon_cool Fluid Liquid Water resources Flowerpot Houseplant

Mason jar Food storage containers Glass Drinkware Artifact

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Any detail growth information to this? Just curious if I could grow other moss using this method.

How's the Algae control?
Health of Moss?
Discoloration of any sort?
Is that a Glass Jar or Plastic?
Is the lid left off or on the whole time other than topping off evaporated water?

Looks cool!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top was left open. Glass jar sitting in the sill, indirect light most of the day. She rotated the jar around every week. She first used some of her tank water, then just added water straight from the well. No algae so to speak, the moss seems extremely healthy. I plan on starting to plant the tank today (maybe) and will be taking it out of the jar. I'll take some more photos and post. The moss is so thick in there that light can't penetrate all the way through the glass, so hopefully the insides are all healthy too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Wonder how many critters are living in that moss? Oh, wait, was it inside? Because of the pics I was thinking it was left outside, but now I see it says window sill.

Ive got some Peacock moss growing in a bowl under a CFL light in my fishroom. I just top it off like your friend did. Ive gotten some lady bugs down there lately.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont see any algae on it... but i havent taken it out yet. I'll take another picture of it when I get it out, maybe tonight.

HUMMM....moss by the jug??? you may be on to something!

It's been growing since the week beforeThanksgiving:bounce:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Seeing that jar of Java moss makes me want to have hundreds of tanks, just so I could put a little in each. It looks awesome!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Last summer I was going to set up a new tank, so I took a glob of Java and a glob of Riccia, plopped each into its own clear plastic box to save it for the new tank, (one of those small storage boxes, bigger than the shoe boxes), filled it with tap water, and sat it on my porch in partial sun. It was growing almost immediately. I added a few guppies to each box and only bothered to add water when I noticed it was down.

I got worried when I saw mosquitoes laying eggs on it! But as I watched, the guppies surfaced and feasted on the eggs. They didn't miss a one that I could tell. Those guppies wiped out an entire summer's worth of mosquitoes! And the Java and Ricca almost filled the boxes before the summer was over. I'm thinking of using that method again this summer as mosquito control ;) I can see how a big glass jar might work even better because it would get light from top to bottom on all sides.

·
Registered
217 Posts
its just like you people to discover somethign cool so that i have to add to my list of stuff to do "aquarium wise" and have my wife get on to me for how much crap i have going on .... next on teh list java in a jar....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The moss was very clean, so much of it!!!! I'll get a picture on here tonight of it out of the jar, but for now, it's off to the zoo with my girls :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it was about that much moss that she started with. I ended up sharing some with another friend because there was so much in the jar. :proud:

Good luck Granny starting the ricca.... this was an accidental experiment. She put about that much in the jar to hold it for me, and we couldnt get togther for months to swap plants. Worked out for me!:icon_lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've had a jar like that for a few years now. I was trying to rid my big tank of java moss but put some aside in case I changed my mind. I never defeated the java moss but still have the gallon jar full.

Sometimes I change all the water, sometimes I top it with old tank water. I don't have a lid on mine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I tried riccia like that. Didn't work but I didn't try real hard either. I do have riccia in another jar with a little dirt and water. Didn't intend it. It got in there with some marsilea I was loosing in the tank so I transfered it to it's own little marsh.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts