The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the forums the past couple of weeks, because I've been busy playing with my new toy...

It's a Palm Treo 700wx Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC phone. A buddy of mine is a Sprint Sales Engineer and finally convinced me to switch over to Sprint. I was a long time Verizon Wireless user, even before when they were Ameritech. I'm basically paying $15 (USD) a month for 500 minutes, unlimited free text, free nights (7pm-7am), free weekends (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday), free local and nationwide long distance (includes Canada), and best of all, FREE INTERNET. I basically can do everything on my phone. The only thing I wish it had was a Wi-Fi connection, so I can use Wi-Fi connections, including my home. I guess with Free Internet and Bluetooth, it's not really a big deal.

Prior to having this, I use to play with an HP iPaq H5555. It's a pocket PC 2003 device only, no phone...

I used to carry the iPaq H5555, but it got cumbersome, since it was rather big. I would at times forget to charge it and so I would leave it at home. The Treo 700wx is allot smaller and pretty much has better capabilities than my old iPaq H5555. Plus since it's an all in one device (for me), I pretty much carry it where I go.

I've been busy installing apps, hacks, and even watching internet TV broadcasts. Yeah, I know, the screen is pretty small, but it's kind of cool watching TV broadcasts anywhere.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Nice new toy there. Now if they can only start working in the rural area's of Iowa I might think about getting one someday. Being in the IT field it is always nice to have Internet access at the touch of your finger tips. I wonder if Cisco has a client yet to be able to run VPN client on windows mobile devices?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I'm basically paying $15 (USD) a month for 500 minutes, unlimited free text, free nights (7pm-7am), free weekends (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday), free local and nationwide long distance (includes Canada), and best of all, FREE INTERNET.
this deal sounds way too good to be true... :icon_roll
even if you paid full price for your own open Trio.
you may want to wait till your second bill arrives
before quoting this price to any or your friends.
Even $55/month would be cheap for those services.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
this deal sounds way too good to be true... :icon_roll
even if you paid full price for your own open Trio.
you may want to wait till your second bill arrives
before quoting this price to any or your friends.
Even $55/month would be cheap for those services.
He did say his friend works at sprint. I don't have a friend that works at sprint and I only pay 30 dollars for all of that. So its possible.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice new toy there. Now if they can only start working in the rural area's of Iowa I might think about getting one someday. Being in the IT field it is always nice to have Internet access at the touch of your finger tips. I wonder if Cisco has a client yet to be able to run VPN client on windows mobile devices?
I'm in the IT field also, but I only use my Treo for communication and organization. I do remember playing with a VPN client when I used my Ipaq H5555 before and I think it may have been by Cisco, but I haven't seen any info on it.

I'm not sure if you've tested any out, but there are other VPN client's available for Windows Mobile devices, such as Nortel's VPN client, AmpthaVPN, and such.

Regarding your area, check out Sprint's coverage map and check the box for Sprint Mobile Broadband Network to see the high speed network in your area. There are other boxes to check regarding recent and upcoming improvements.

FYI, I would consider Sprint's EV-DO networks more than Edge networks (Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.). Edge network speeds are slow (maximum data transfer rate of 384 kbps), while EV-DO network speeds are maximum data transfer rate of about 2 mbs.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He did say his friend works at sprint. I don't have a friend that works at sprint and I only pay 30 dollars for all of that. So its possible.
Yeah, he got me in on a Sprint Wireless Advantage Club. No contract, no credit check, etc. The only bad thing is if leaves the company, I lose the deal. He's married with 1 kid and 1 new born and is making good money, so I doubt he would leave. Also, if I ditch and not pay, it's his credit, but why screw my friend?

If you get a business card from a Sprint employee, you can use their email address and you can sign up for SERO (Sprint Employee Referral Offer) plan. Basically, these are discounted plans, different from the Sprint Wireless Advantage club, which I belong to. Some SERO plans cover unlimited data (Internet access) for about $50 (USD)/month. You can also check out a Sprint User's forum if you have any questions.

Otherwise, if you do know someone who works at Sprint, ask them to sign you up on their Sprint Wireless Advantage Club. They can enroll up to 12 people per year on it. Unfortunately, they may or may not share this information, since they are responsible if you do not pay your bill. Plus, you should find someone who will plans to be with Sprint for a long time, otherwise, your contract ends when they leave the company.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
My SERO is $27 + tax per month. 500 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, nights start at 7pm, unlimited text messaging, free first incoming minute, free Sprint Vision (free Sprint TV/EDGE).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts