The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife has been looking into having a Terrarium on her desk. To keep this short she is also keen on keeping said Terrarium reasonably small and not powered. She is now considering the idea of possibly having some form of pet in there. Is this possible and any tips for new starters...

TYIA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

My wife has been looking into having a Terrarium on her desk. To keep this short she is also keen on keeping said Terrarium reasonably small and not powered. She is now considering the idea of possibly having some form of pet in there. Is this possible and any tips for new starters...

TYIA
Most vertebrates will need something 15 gallons (60 liters) or bigger. There are a few invertebrates that can live in something 5-10 gallons, like millipedes, praying mantises, tarantulas and various ornamental cockroaches. She should decide what creature she wants first, and then build the terrarium to be an ideal habitat for that creature. A forum specifically for the creature she wants to keep would be a better place to post, this forum is mainly dedicated to planted aquariums. Many little creatures can live a very long time (dart frogs, for instance, can live up to 20 years I believe), when kept in good conditions, so it can be a commitment.

If she’s not set on the pet idea, I can give lots of plant-only terrarium advice, that’s my main hobby.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Hi,

TYIA
When you say small, how small are we talking? And when you say unpowered, does that mean no light, and no automatic misting system?

If she does not want a light then really that's going to eliminate pretty much everything since plants you put in a terrarium are going to need a light. There are a few house plants that can live off of room ambient light but honestly not even that many of those, maybe a dozen or so?

Assuming she is ok with a light (and either is committed to watering this thing at least a few times during each week, or an automatic misting system). Then the field for plants is wide open. You can get really deep into the rare orchid world as well as a bunch of other nifty tropical plants.

As for critters that might be happy, well that depends on how big a tank. Pretty much the minimum size for anything that is not an bug is going to be 10 gallons. At that size you are going to be pretty limited to what you can keep as well. A micro gecko might be an option to look into. If she is looking for something smaller then that she could consider a pray mantis. When they are young you need to keep them in an enclosure but apparently (and I've never done this, just seen it done online), when they get older they are so territorial they will stay on your desk and never leave. So people free range them on a houseplant on their desk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts