The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I haven't been fertilizing any of my plants in my tank, and, big surprise - nothing seems to be really taking off. I recently moved everything from a 3 gallon to a 5.5 gallon tank and upgraded the light and would like to help these plants actually look good. Here's what I have:

• 5.5 gallon tank, gravel substrate, finnex planted+ slim LED cliplight (true 660nm deep red LEDs, 7000k daylight - no idea if that's good or what level of light it provides)
  • Gravel substrate
  • 1 betta, 1 nerite
  • 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20ppm Nitrate
  • Plants: 1 java fern, a couple anubias, moneywort, pearl weed, pogostemon stellatus octopus (just added), valisneria (just added), and 1 scarlet temple (just added)

I've just thrown these in because I like how they look and from what I read weren't terribly demanding. But I don't know what I'm doing and need to figure out where to start with the whole fertilizing thing. So far I've just done a few root tabs but need to figure out the dosing regimen. There's so much online and I don't know where to start. I do know that I need to buy some Seachem Flourish (and maybe Excel?). Any advice is appreciated!
Plant Vertebrate Nature Purple Organism

·
Registered
583 Posts
Go with something like Easy Green, Nilocg Thrive or APT Complete rather than Seachem Flourish. Flourish doesn't contain nitrogen, potassium, or phophorous which are the nutrients plants need most. The other ones I suggested are all-in-one fertilizers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with something like Easy Green, Nilocg Thrive or APT Complete rather than Seachem Flourish. Flourish doesn't contain nitrogen, potassium, or phophorous which are the nutrients plants need most. The other ones I suggested are all-in-one fertilizers.
Thanks. I actually have some Easy Green. Any thoughts on dosing? Once/twice a week? Aquarium Co-op said to "dose to 20-40ppm Nitrate." Not entirely sure what that means. How often do I dose?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
428 Posts
what that means is that you dose the tank whenever it drops lower or after water changes, as that will drop the Nitrate levels. Then you add whatever it takes to get the Nitrates back to 20-40 ppm. But without co2, I would keep it closer to 10-20 ppm. Having said that, Nitrates are the lease detrimental thing to your fish when looking at Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Your plants aren't all that demanding, mostly they will take nutrients from the water column. Only plant that looks like it may benefit from root tabs is the one in front on the left. Though I can't tell what that is. Also the Vallisneria on the right may like tabs. But that's a pretty hardy plant, may not need it at all.

But Easy Green I have heard good things about. Good luck! Otherwise you can figure our what you want to dose, and buy each thing individually.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what that means is that you dose the tank whenever it drops lower or after water changes, as that will drop the Nitrate levels. Then you add whatever it takes to get the Nitrates back to 20-40 ppm. But without co2, I would keep it closer to 10-20 ppm. Having said that, Nitrates are the lease detrimental thing to your fish when looking at Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Your plants aren't all that demanding, mostly they will take nutrients from the water column. Only plant that looks like it may benefit from root tabs is the one in front on the left. Though I can't tell what that is. Also the Vallisneria on the right may like tabs. But that's a pretty hardy plant, may not need it at all.

But Easy Green I have heard good things about. Good luck! Otherwise you can figure our what you want to dose, and buy each thing individually.
Thanks! I will give it a shot. That one on the left is pearlweed, which from what I've read is a stem plant. So maybe no root tabs.

As for lighting, I was thinking about moving to a Stingray 2 so I could accomplish more of a medium light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RGM3S9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What do you think? Or would I just invite a ton of algae?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
428 Posts
Thanks! I will give it a shot. That one on the left is pearlweed, which from what I've read is a stem plant. So maybe no root tabs.

As for lighting, I was thinking about moving to a Stingray 2 so I could accomplish more of a medium light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RGM3S9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What do you think? Or would I just invite a ton of algae?
as long as you have good coverage with your light on the whole tank, all the plants are getting what they need, you should be good. When I get LED bars like that I try and make sure I get the largest one possible. I have purchased different brands based solely on the fact I can get a longer fixture onto a certain tank. Otherwise I usually stick to Fluvals.

And yeah, I think you're right. you can probably skip the root tabs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts