The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've always had fish only tanks. Gravel at the bottom, fake plants. I want to change that. Now is the perfect time. My last tank had barely even started when it got parasites. I completely emptied the tank and boiled everything. Replaced the filter media, that bad thing whatever it's called. So I put everything back in but now I am thinking I want sand and live plants. Since my tank has not cycled nor does it have fish, now is the perfect time to make the change.

About my tank: 10 gallon, hood with 2 incandescent bulbs together equalling 15watts, tetra whisper filter, submersible heater (cannot control the temperature but it keeps the tank around 80). Due to being in the basement the tank doesn't get a lot of sunlight.

So, what are easy beginner plants? Which will work with the equipment I already have? What kind of sand? How much sand? Just tell me everything I need to know from preparing the tank to buying the things I need, to adding the plants, caring for the plants. EVERYTHING! like I said I am brand new and want to make sure I do it right.

Correcting in first paragraph: Replaced the filter media, that bad thing whatever it's called. THAT SHOULD SAY BAG! I mean the filter bag thing that goes in the filter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
1. Switch to 7 watt daylight cfls.
2. Sand will be ok, but it has no nutrients for the plants, so root tabs are needed (osomocote+ capsules on ebay are awesome)
3. Get easy, smaller, plants. Crypt wenditii, wisteria, bacopa, etc.
4. Water changes. Lots of them. Things can go fast in a 10gal.
5. Let it fully cycle before adding fish.

Plants are awesome. I actually have more fun with them than i do with the fish lol. Take some time to read the stickies on the forum and you'll be set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
1. Switch to 7 watt daylight cfls.
2. Sand will be ok, but it has no nutrients for the plants, so root tabs are needed (osomocote+ capsules on ebay are awesome)
3. Get easy, smaller, plants. Crypt wenditii, wisteria, bacopa, etc.
4. Water changes. Lots of them. Things can go fast in a 10gal.
5. Let it fully cycle before adding fish.

Plants are awesome. I actually have more fun with them than i do with the fish lol. Take some time to read the stickies on the forum and you'll be set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Agree with pretty much all of this. I would probably avoid wisteria though. In my experience it grows pretty large and too quickly for a 10g. Cabomb, wenditii, bacopa, and anubias Nana might be good plant choices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!
I spent a lot of time looking for cfls that will screw into my hood, hopefully what I picked out will fit. I was planning on going to the store today but I'm sick so it's not going to happen this week.
I decided to get that eco stuff that was talked about in an article on this site. Sand was actually turning out to be more expensive in the long run. I'm so anxious to get it started! It sucks my 2 days to do this are turning into a miserable day of trying to rest inbetween chasing my 1 year old around!

Can I put in the substrate and plants at the same time or do I have to wait for some magical time? I hope I love this plants! I am an animal person and absolutely love fish. I haven't had fish in YEARS so I'm excited for this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.