The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Jake and I am new. I have been keeping aquariums since I was 15 years old. I'm 27 now. I have kept many sucsessful freshwater aquariums and reef tanks and my current reef is a heavily stocked sps tank. pictures to come.. I have been looking to upgrade my current 30 gal freshwater; mostly tanganykan chiclids to a 90 gallon, which is the biggest I could put in the location the tank is currently in. recently while looking for a deal on craigslist, I have had an itch to setup a nicely aquascaped planted tank with co2 and the whole 9... I got a deal on a 5 foot long X 25 inch high X 18 deep tank with stand. I was originally going to use it for the upgrade for my chichlids but I cannot fit a 5 foot tank in a four foot space so I must put this tank in the living room where I wanted to put the new planted tank. so needless to say I'm thinking about making this tank the planted tank. and I'm gonna need some help guys sooo.. its nice to meet you.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Hi Jake,

Welcome to TPT; we're glad you are here! I like your thinking so instead of a 4' tank in the living room and a 30 gallon of the cichlids now you have a 5 foot tank in the living room and will add a 4' tank for the cichlids......that is the first sign of MTS (multiple tank syndrome) be forewarned!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some quick pics i just snapped

New tank

Nano not scaped yet

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
120 gallons. I am determining what I'm gonna do with it but I'm most likely gonna do a planted tank. its gonna be harder than doing something like a 40 breeder just because its close to 26 inches tall. planning out the aqua scape now, going to be a well thought out scape. gonna be going for something that you would see out of the green machine but will be completely original. gonna have a large school of small community fish and shrimp and CUC with lots of co2 and I'm leaning towards a retrofit ho t5 on some kind of canopy that I can hoist up for times of trimming and maintenance.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Hi Jake,

I have a 24" deep tank and lower maintenance is a prime consideration for that one. I went with mostly Cryptocornes (tall and shorter varieties), Microsorum pteropus (java fern) 'Trident', Bolbitis heudelotii, Nymphoides sp 'Taiwan' (for a bright green accent), and Anubias species with one or two stem plant species for accent. It was a great aquascape for a deep tank; I appreciated not having to stick my arm in up to the elbow on a weekly basis.

45 gallon tall (24" deep) low maintenance set up

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
yea, I am planning an intricate scape with foreground mats and mid ground plants with taller plants I a particular corner. gonna be some ongoing work I'm sure
Hi Jake,

I don't think an aquascape is ever 'done'; there is always some sort of adjustment that I want to do to make it 'better' - lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.