The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. i have had a cichlid tank running for a while now, and have decided to take the plunge into a planted tank.
Just got a 10 gallon tank, added flourish, and an aquaclear hob filter. the dust is clearing, and im going to let the tank cycle for a while, before adding any plants.
I'm just looking for advice and whatnot on plants that are easy to maintain, and don't demand co2.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You can grow most plants with Flourish Excel instead of CO2. What kind of layout are you looking for? What kind of critters do you have in there now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no critters, nothing. tank is just now set up.
Im not necessarly looking for total ground cover, but i do want something.. im thinking of smaller schooling fish, and want plants that work well, and are easy enough for the beginner to maintain.

like i sad, any and all pieces of advice and suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ok. Well first off, there's no point waiting to add plants or fish. Your tank can't cycle with nothing in it so you might as well find the plants and fish you like and get started.

As far as ground cover, HC is a little more demanding than hair grass, but if you like the look of hair grass it'll grow relatively well without CO2. A lot of stem plants will do fine without CO2, they just won't grow as quickly. If you're not happy with your growth rates you can always add Excel or DIY CO2 down the road.

Do you have ferts already?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have no ferts yet, and was going to ask what are the necessities for it..
im going on vacation for a week, so the tank will be left to its own devices for a while, but will be planted upon my return.

·
Registered
644 Posts
See the link in my signature for nano dosing. It'll get you started in the right direction for ferts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts