The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Using a paintball tank w a Jardli regulator. Asking... does it have to be under the aquarium (below shelf) or can it be placed on table w tube above tank../trying to install a Aqua Rio Neo Diffuser in a Spec V tank

·
Banned
628 Posts
I noticed this morning the water in my bubble counter runs down into the tube when I turn the CO2 off. I only recently started turning the CO2 off at night. I used to keep it on all the time. I have a check valve in the line but your post makes me worry whether I should do more to make sure the water doesn't get to the regulator. The water running down the tube explains why the bubbles started sputtering out recently. The check valve is wet. It's hard to take a bubble count anymore. I would keep the tube above the water line if I were you. I keep the top part of the CO2 tube above the aquarium. It's just the water in the bubble counter I have to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed this morning the water in my bubble counter runs down into the tube when I turn the CO2 off. I only recently started turning the CO2 off at night. I used to keep it on all the time. I have a check valve in the line but your post makes me worry whether I should do more to make sure the water doesn't get to the regulator. The water running down the tube explains why the bubbles started sputtering out recently. The check valve is wet. It's hard to take a bubble count anymore. I would keep the tube above the water line if I were you. I keep the top part of the CO2 tube above the aquarium. It's just the water in the bubble counter I have to worry about.
I’m about to set it up now. But it comes w a check valve in the bubble counter..: but would it be ok to add another check valve in the line jus to be safe. if I decided to put it below tank. Bc I wouldn’t want it to back flow into the regulator

·
Banned
628 Posts
You can put the regulator below the tank but still run the CO2 line above the tank. That way the water won't syphon out of the tank if the check valve somehow fails. Maybe you could hang the line on a cup hook or a nail. I know that won't look good. Mine is out of sight. The tube probably only needs to be about six inches higher than the water line. I wonder if everybody does this or if I'm just being paranoid. A second check valve might be good enough.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Question in relation to this topic, can you place the CO2 canister on its side?
As mentioned, you will want to keep the CO2 cylinder upright. Liquid CO2 can make its way into the regulator otherwise, potentially damaging it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes my water also gets a little pushed back out of the Bubble counter I installed a check valve before silonoid. Do not allow the water to get inside the regulator it can damage it or create rust. Also get a check valve that is meant for CO2 I recommend ista stainless steel check valves I have tried many others in the last 2 weeks and the water from the bubble counter has gotten through them all except this one. Also glad you stopped the CO2 during the night as the plants produce CO2 during the night which can be dangerous to live stock in the aquarium

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Banned
628 Posts
Yes my water also gets a little pushed back out of the Bubble counter I installed a check valve before silonoid. Do not allow the water to get inside the regulator it can damage it or create rust. Also get a check valve that is meant for CO2 I recommend ista stainless steel check valves I have tried many others in the last 2 weeks and the water from the bubble counter has gotten through them all except this one. Also glad you stopped the CO2 during the night as the plants produce CO2 during the night which can be dangerous to live stock in the aquarium

I have been draining the bubble counter everynight and the next day it's always full again. I don't know where the water is coming from. The tube is above the water line. I just drained it again. The regulator is still working. I have a spare. I will search for the Ista check valve. Thanks for your product research and suggestion.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been draining the bubble counter everynight and the next day it's always full again. I don't know where the water is coming from. The tube is above the water line. I just drained it again. The regulator is still working. I have a spare. I will search for the Ista check valve. Thanks for your product research and suggestion.
Even if the tube is above the water line when the pressure reduces it's like a suction cup it will suck water back into the tubing doesn't matter if the tubing is straight up or not when the pressure changes it will take water in the tubing with every PSI that drops. Your theory only works when there's no pressure in the line reducing. By having it higher your just getting rid of the possibility of gravity feeding. But it's not gravity causing the issue in the case of CO2

·
Banned
628 Posts
Maybe I'll get a valve and put it on the line above the bubble counter. I saw a bubble counter yesterday that doesn't run straight through. There's a little tube in a chamber. The chamber holds the water and keeps it from falling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe I'll get a valve and put it on the line above the bubble counter. I saw a bubble counter yesterday that doesn't run straight through. There's a little tube in a chamber. The chamber holds the water and keeps it from falling.
I find some bubble counters worse than others at sucking water back into the line.
I recommend a searchem glass pollen 17mm bubble counter but I still recommend have a check valve just incase

·
Registered
81 Posts
-------------

I am interested to know WHY you think it is necessary to run CO2 24 hours per day. I have a FZone mini regulator and have it turn ON in the morning when the LED lights come ON and shut it off maybe 1/2 hour before the LED lights go OFF for the night. I take pH and kH measurements a couple times per day as well. I refer to a sheet which lists the sweet spots for CO2 based upon pH / kH combinations since those values provide a good indication of how much CO2 you have at a given time. To me it seems to be a waste to run a CO2 system 24 hours per day. The CO2 setup in combination with fertilizers result in plants that are thriving and flourishing. I have read several authorities that prefer to shut off the CO2 injection 1 hour before the lights go OFF but I am intrigued by which "source" of information on the internet is suggesting CO2 24 hours/day?

I made sure to install a stainless steel check valve as well which I assume everyone needs to do with a CO2 injection system.

·
Banned
628 Posts
-------------

I am interested to know WHY you think it is necessary to run CO2 24 hours per day. I have a FZone mini regulator and have it turn ON in the morning when the LED lights come ON and shut it off maybe 1/2 hour before the LED lights go OFF for the night. I take pH and kH measurements a couple times per day as well. I refer to a sheet which lists the sweet spots for CO2 based upon pH / kH combinations since those values provide a good indication of how much CO2 you have at a given time. To me it seems to be a waste to run a CO2 system 24 hours per day. The CO2 setup in combination with fertilizers result in plants that are thriving and flourishing. I have read several authorities that prefer to shut off the CO2 injection 1 hour before the lights go OFF but I am intrigued by which "source" of information on the internet is suggesting CO2 24 hours/day?

I made sure to install a stainless steel check valve as well which I assume everyone needs to do with a CO2 injection system.
That's a good question. Yes it is a waste isn't it? I am no longer running it 24/7. I was very surprised the other day to see one of TPT's senior, well respected, members runs hers 24/7. There are some experienced people doing this. In my case, I ran it 24/7 because I have a cheap low quality regulator. I was afraid I would somehow damage my POS regulator turning it on and off everyday. I have a replacement for it, but I already broke the third one. Which I guess was actually the first one and now I'm on my second one. But anyway, now I turn off the regulator manually before lights out. Then I unscrew the bubble counter at lights off to break the back pressure or what ever it was sucking the water out of my tank over night. Then I screw it back on before I goto work and my wife turns it on before lights on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.