The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First want to say hi and love the site. Learning a lot from the forums. The one thing that I am having issues with is how to tell if my swordtail is preggo. She gets the big belly but I can not see any gravid spot(s), then all of a sudden she goes back to normal size. I am assuming that she is having the babies and they are being eating by the other fish in the tank. Have attached a pic of her to see if anyone can tell me if they see a gravid spot.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rev.

Attachments

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you have any plant clippings, I'd put those in with her too, to reduce stress by giving her someplace to hide, as well as the fry a place to hide from her once they're born. Most livebearers are cannibalistic.

917 Posts
If she goes between pregnant like that and skinny every few days or so, it's probably dropsy which is an incurable illness which certainly leads to the fish's death. It's brought on by stress usually, so possibly water quality or something.

The last stage is when the fish is super bloated and its scales stick out.

Then again, it could be pregnant if it cycles between thin and fat monthly. If it were having babies, I'm sure you'd see it having babies at least once if you've had it so long. It could be eating the fry. If you really want to test it to see if it is pregnant, watch it closely and put it in a breeder box when it looks like it is going to give birth. The fry will fall to the bottom and she'll stay in the top part. You'll either have baby fish or a dead fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all the feed back, my Swordtail still looks the same and has not had any fry as of yet. Thinking she just may have a little bit of a weight problem.

Thanks for all the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.