The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading from my store bought 10 gallon typical tropical tank to a 55 gallon DIY-ish tank. I'm going with a Texas theme for starters with live plants and ornaments. The problem is, I'm not finding the ornaments I want. I have several items I'd love to toss in, but I'm concerned about toxicity. Is there a sealer or epoxy I can use to make them tank friendly?

I've been experimenting with acetone bonding on plexi glass in my smaller tank with no ill effects. I've done it on a much larger scale for my big tank to divide the gravel. Should I add holes or allow gaps so the bacteria and all that can move more freely amongst the bottom or should it be okay?

Also, I'm not thrilled with the "custom" glass canopy that I acquired for the tank. I have a fish bobbing Labrador, nosy kids, and a fat lounging cat. If I were to go with a plexiglass top how thick do you think it'd need to be? Or do you think it'd get nasty and irretrievably useless too quickly? I'm going to be using a 48" coralife T5 ballast for lighting.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts