The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Had a few planted tanks up and running for awhile, and I was looking for a reason to start another, so I thought, "Shrimp!" :bounce:

The tank is going to be a 20 long. I haven't even begun to think about possible scapes or even a basic plant list. I'm thinking it's gonna end up being pretty simple with some wood and a handful of rocks, probably plenty of moss as well.

But anyways, I am looking to get a pair of Aspistos in with the shrimp and that would be it as far as fauna goes. I am just wondering if there is going to be any sort of compatibility issue with the Aspistos?

As far as a specific shrimp species goes, I haven't really decided either, I know some get bigger than others and wasn't sure if that, or anything else, would need to be accounted for.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There basically aren't any cichlids that are shrimp safe as a species (at least that are commonly kept, perhaps some of the herbivorous ones would be.) There are individual fish that do not seem to be interested in shrimp, but it's very likely that sooner or later they'll decide to see what your shrimp taste like.

In the case of apistogramma, you're looking at a carnivorous fish that would be happy to eat your shrimp unless they are quite large. Perhaps something very large, like a bamboo shrimp, would be OK, but then again, it might be harassed to death by the fish.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have kept Amano shrimps with my Rams and never had them bother the shrimps, but there are a lot of hiding places in the tank if the shrimps need it. You may try a few Amanos as they do not breed in freshwater so you will not have to worry about your fish eating the shrimplets, and Amanos get bigger than most of the other commonly kept shrimp species. (My biggest Amano is actually a bit bigger than my Rams for now...) Bamboo shrimps would probably also be OK, but with the Apistos I would not stock RCS or CRS in the same tank.

·
Banned
943 Posts
As a general rule its not a good idea to keep fish and shrimp in the same tank. If they dont eat the adults they will eat the babies. However usually there can be a balance found with enough plants and cover for the shrimps. Preferebly moss, and lots of it.

Not a good idea for a beginning shrimp keeper. Ive only started myself but decided to keep neons in with my CRS. All my CRS are adults right now so they dont get bothered too much until feeding time. Then the greedy neons try to eat anything they can. But they cant really eat adult CRS. They just kinda peck at them once and run off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.