The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Dont hate me for asking but would cherry shrimp work well for cycling a tank?

Also, would cherry shrimp be compatable with bettas, tetras, bn plecos, and cory's?

Thanks!

RandyB.

·
Registered
644 Posts
No.

No.

:tongue:

Shrimp are more sensitive to nitrates/nitrites than other critters. Add them after the tank is cycled.

bettas will munch on little shrimp
tetras will munch on little shrimp
your pleco should be fine
corys will munch on little and larger shrimp

Am I saying all of your shrimp will get eaten? No. But why sacrifice cute little shrimp? :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you plan on using something alive to cycle the tank go for feeder ghost shrimp since they are much cheaper! LFS usually sell them 15/$1

·
Registered
644 Posts
Or just get some stem plants and start off with a small bio-load, but not shrimp. ;)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
If you plan on using something alive to cycle the tank go for feeder ghost shrimp since they are much cheaper! LFS usually sell them 15/$1
hehe, I wish they were that cheap. Our LFS wants $1.25 for five of 'em and you have to buy in increments of five.

As for cycling, you should just use a filter or filter pad from another, established tank...that's what I did :)
Also, if you use aquasoil, it leeches ammonia and will help cycle your tank. Just be careful that your ammonia/nitrite levels are 0 before you add your shrimp. Nitrates should be low as well. <10 or at least < 20

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah your RCS WILL die if you use them to cycle a tank. Use feeder guppies or feeder ghost shrimp. I can buy both at 10 for $1.

·
Registered
472 Posts
hehe, I wish they were that cheap. Our LFS wants $1.25 for five of 'em and you have to buy in increments of five.
I wish ghost shrimp were THAT cheap here. The LFS wants 50 cents each for ghosts, and $3.99 for cherries.

Put a bunch of plants in your tank, wait a day or two, and start stocking slowly. If you insist on starting your stocking with shrimp, wait longer before you do.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Actually, waiting a longer time after you put plants in to put shrimp in won't do anything. Unless you have some bioload in there creating ammonia, no bacteria are going to grow, so you could wait a month and still not have any bacteria. Just start off with some hearty (or cheap) fish, and move on to the shrimp after the tank has cycled.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yeah your RCS WILL die if you use them to cycle a tank. Use feeder guppies or feeder ghost shrimp.
Not true:icon_wink I've added RCS right away...

What ever happened to not worrying about cycling in planted tanks... Wheres Rex when you need him?

But I would tend to go with others if you don't know what you're doing... Once you get more experienced you can fool a bit with the 'rules'

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not true:icon_wink I've added RCS right away...

What ever happened to not worrying about cycling in planted tanks... Wheres Rex when you need him?

But I would tend to go with others if you don't know what you're doing... Once you get more experienced you can fool a bit with the 'rules'

-Andrew
If theres gonna be ammonia from the cycle then im pretty sure the cherries would die whereas something hardy like danios would fare ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts