The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the sticky, got some Ricca and Peacock moss on the way and my tank is planted well enough for good hiding with some rocks & wood. It is a larger (150g) tank with community fish but what else do I need to know about keeping shrimp, I ordered 15 Cherry Shrimp just to see if everything would be ok before looking at any high dollor species, which doesn't really interest me anyway.

I dose EI and my nitates are 10 to 15 ppm at the end of the week, no nitrites or ammonia, kH 7, gH 3 but I have gH booster if needed, and pH 7.2 out of the tap but 6.8 by the end of the day with C02 injection. I know I'll need to cover the intakes on my Eheim canister with some foam or something, suggeestion please.

Can it be done or should I cancel the order?

·
Registered
436 Posts
sounds like you have done your reaserch and your going about it the right way. what community fish are you keeping? im sure you have read it already, but anything that can fit a shrimp in its mouth, will. but with a tank that sounds reasonably planted and some moss on its way... not much more you can (or need) to do to give cherries a shot.
one note, after you acclimate them, I would put some moss in with the shrimp and then move that to your big tank, so they can hide first. I know first hand that a shrimp put in at the surface of a big tank has a long trip down to the bottom lol.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp-other-invertebrates/141085-estimate-my-rcp-population.html
maby feed the fish beforehand so their full when they see shrimp for the first time.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have one Kribensis that's very old, but I'm worried about him eating shrimp, I had 2 (males) but his brother died of natural causes a week or 2 ago, so I'm jumping the gun a little but I've been waiting so long for the guys to go. I will try your mosstrick and I plan to put them in after lights out when only the Kuhlis and Otos are active, and I will make sure the fish are full. Thanks for the info, any suggestions on covering the intakes.

Do you think this would work http://www.marinedepot.com/Suction_Screen_1_inch_MPT_x_6.5_inch_Long_MPT_Fitting_Strainers-Plumbing_Parts-FT8641-FIFTSTMP-FT8652-vi.html

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Wow that's toasty, the 82 at most should be ok but you would NEED an airstone in there or something, over 85 and I'm not sure they'd make it at all no matter what you do.

And with the cherries the kh is not such a big deal, it just depends really, but that was the only parameter I saw that *could possibly* cause an issue ^^

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It never goes over 82 and really over 80 is rare, but it's a good volume of water so the changes are slow, but it's good to know.

I glad kH won't be a big deal with cherries, the water is very clean with good filtration and flow, my worst worry is them getting sucked to the intake and I will address that or getting eaten, that's a little harder but I'll deal with it some how.

I took a look at your breeder, pretty cool, I always thought shrmp would like harder water for new shells and molting, plus warmer because their so tiny, but the like it a little cool with there water al dente', picky little buggers.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have RCS in three tanks here a the shop. Only one has a controller hooked up to fans to keep the temp under control. A 10g and 20g are on their own and will often top 85 by the time I leave here at 4pm. It gets hot in my building since I never run the AC or the swap cooler. The office I'm sitting in is 94° now. The RCS do fine in all the tanks, I might join them.

Just tested the KH. 60g that has cories and BNP's is 3. 10 and 20g that has only the shrimp is 8. Both the small tanks have some crushed coral mixed in with inert gravel. Have no idea what the GH is because I can't read the API test. lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
150EH you have almost the same conditions I do..except that my tank is 20G. Although my KH and GH are much higher. Yours at 7 and 3 respectively are well within normal parameters for RCS. I don't see any problems with your water parameters for RCS.

I will be introducing cherry shrimp in the coming weeks if not this week. As long as you have enough cover (and I can't imagine that you don't in a large 150G), they should be fine...enough should evade any predators to survive. If they breed then I think you have a great chance at having a self-maintaining population in your tank.

I have very hard water with high PH and my temp normally stays around 75-82. There have been enough first-hand accounts of people successfully keeping RCS in these conditions that I am willing to try it out with 20 shrimp.

Just like you, I have no interest in the high end shrimps as I just want some more bio diversity in my tank. I'd have to make some serious changes for the higher quality shrimp..changes I'm not willing to make right now. RCS look just about perfect for my tank.

I'll keep you posted on how they do, if you promise to do the same ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.