The Planted Tank Forum banner

New to RCS

1465 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Corydoradaxplora
Hi, I am just getting into raising red cherry shrimp. I'm wondering if there is anything useful or any tips that could help me. I am using a 5 gallon planted tank(dwarf hair grass, marimo moss balls, and a java fern) and have not purchased my shrimp yet. I plan to get about 5-6 to start and go from there. My water is slightly soft declorinated well water with a pH of around 7. I have been cycling with ammonium hydroxide for about a week and am just seeing nitrites and nitrates. Any tips or changes I should make would help. Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Hi Landonnap! I am new here too but read this site often via tapatalk. Thought I would sign up to help out when I can and get help when I need it too I would recommend you have a intake cover to ensure baby or even adult shrimp dont get sucked into it unless you are using a sponge filter. You might want to check gh and kh if possible and pickup a tds pen on amazon for cheap. Also be sure to drip acclimate them when you get them for at least an hour. They can go into osmotic shock otherwise. You can search youtube for drip acclimating shrimp and it will show you all need to know about it. I hope the best for you!
Reactions: 2
great information

Hi Landonnap! I am new here too but read this site often via tapatalk. Thought I would sign up to help out when I can and get help when I need it too I would recommend you have a intake cover to ensure baby or even adult shrimp dont get sucked into it unless you are using a sponge filter. You might want to check gh and kh if possible and pickup a tds pen on amazon for cheap. Also be sure to drip acclimate them when you get them for at least an hour. They can go into osmotic shock otherwise. You can search youtube for drip acclimating shrimp and it will show you all need to know about it. I hope the best for you!
Great info
Hi Cory, I forgot to mention I do have a sponge on the filter and I have a gh and kh test kit(although it is a tetra easystrip and I don't know how accurate it is) My gh is around 75 ppm I believe and my kh is zero. I should probably try to get my kh up but I have seachem equilibrium to boost the minerals needed for molting.
Hi Cory, I forgot to mention I do have a sponge on the filter and I have a gh and kh test kit(although it is a tetra easystrip and I don't know how accurate it is) My gh is around 75 ppm I believe and my kh is zero. I should probably try to get my kh up but I have seachem equilibrium to boost the minerals needed for molting.
You'll probably want your gH to be a bit higher than that. 75ppm i think is around 4dGH, cherries should have at least 6 or more to successfully molt consistently. KH doesn't matter as much, all it will do is keep your water stable. I keep my cherries at 10dGH, 5dKH, 7.6pH and 300tds. All are happy as can be.
You'll probably want your gH to be a bit higher than that. 75ppm i think is around 4dGH, cherries should have at least 6 or more to successfully molt consistently. KH doesn't matter as much, all it will do is keep your water stable. I keep my cherries at 10dGH, 5dKH, 7.6pH and 300tds. All are happy as can be.
Ok, thanks. I will try to get my Gh up with the equilibrium. Just curious. Did you use a bacteria starter in your tank. I originally used API QuickStart and then found out it is a land based bacteria so I am trying to find a new one. I am going to my LFS today so a quick reply would be appreciated
Ok, thanks. I will try to get my Gh up with the equilibrium. Just curious. Did you use a bacteria starter in your tank. I originally used API QuickStart and then found out it is a land based bacteria so I am trying to find a new one. I am going to my LFS today so a quick reply would be appreciated
Quickstarts bacteria just eats the excess ammonia and nitrites so it is supposed to make a "safe" fish in cycle. There is no such thing as a safe fish in cycle though. It affects the fish for life. I like API quickstart though. With cycling it won't let your ammonia and nitrites really go over 2ppm so the beneficial bacteria can get a good start. That is what the land based bacteria does-eats the excess. Either way, other bottled bacteria or not it should take about 2.5-3 weeks at the least. Roughly 18 days with quickstart.
No, I used mature filter media and hardscape from my other tank to cycle. I let the tank hang out for a week before putting my shrimp in and i think that was a mistake, i still lost a few at first. For shrimp, a mature tank is pretty important. They're sensitive little guys. I've never cycled using pure ammonia but i've heard it works, in any case you just need to be patient.
No, I used mature filter media and hardscape from my other tank to cycle. I let the tank hang out for a week before putting my shrimp in and i think that was a mistake, i still lost a few at first. For shrimp, a mature tank is pretty important. They're sensitive little guys. I've never cycled using pure ammonia but i've heard it works, in any case you just need to be patient.
+1 on this. I used cycled filter media from another tank and substrate and it still took 3 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Marineland "Bacteria in a Bag" or Tetra SafeStart are the ones that supposedly have the right bacteria.

Please get the API, Sera or Nutrafin LIQUID test kits for GH and KH. These are more reliable. Corydoradaxplora is correct, you do want higher GH. On a test strip, the GH should read *at least* 107 for 6 dGH°. You can use Baking Soda for KH.

If/when you do water changes, try to match the new water with what's in the tank, or slightly lower (if you have a target TDS range for them). You can do top offs with either RO/DI or rain water, or, if your water is as soft as you say it is, tap water as well. Just keep an eye on parameters.

Try to purchase "home grown" shrimp and avoid imported shrimp.
Ok, thanks for all the info everyone. anyone had good experience with Dr. Tims One and Only? And by the way I am purchasing from a store that buys from a local breeder Zoidburg
Reactions: 1
Ok, thanks for all the info everyone. anyone had good experience with Dr. Tims One and Only? And by the way I am purchasing from a store that buys from a local breeder Zoidburg
Never used it but if you are seeing nitrites and nitrates it would be a waste of money. You would be paying for bacteria you already have in your tank. Sounds like you are all set, just a matter of waiting now!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.