The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 75 gallon community tank that I just updated with a few plants and I don't think I'm doing too well lol. I have 5 discus, 2 angels, some cardinals and rams, and a pleco. I feed twice a day and I'm changing 50-60% of the water daily as my discus are still growing. My lighting is a current satellite plus pro that I'm leaving on for 6 hours a day at about 75% intensity. I only have 2 amazon swords and one anubias right now. I wanted to start out very lightly and get another anubias and maybe one more plant, once I convince myself that I know how to take care of these properly. For the swords, I planted a seachem root tab and they seem to be doing fine. My anubias on the other hand does not look very healthy. I noticed one of the leaves was yellow. It's only been a week so I'm not sure if the leaf was already unhealthy from the beginning, but I'm pretty sure I don't remember any yellow leaves when I bought the plant. Right now I'm only dosing with seachem flourish twice a week. Do I need to dose more often due to daily water changes for my anubias to be healthy? Some pics below:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It isn't unusual for an anubias leaf to turn yellow like that soon after you plant it. Just remove the leaf, and wait for the plant to wake up and decide to grow another leaf. They do grow slowly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started to dose Flourish every other day as recommended. My anubias are looking good, but my amazon swords....not doing as well. The pic below actually looks a little better than it does in real life. The leaves are very "wrinkly" and I'm getting a few new clear/brown spots. Are my daily water changes preventing them from getting enough nutrients? Right now I have one seachem root tab for each plant. Any suggestions/recommendations? I read the seachem root tabs are only micronutrients, is it too much if I use an API root tab also for the macro nutrients?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The sword plants were grown in air. The lower leaves are dying because they are air adapted leaves. New leaves will have long blades and short stems and will appear thinner and may even have brown veining on them at first.

Sword plants can be very beautiful if they have room to grow. Consider moving them away from the sides of the tank so the new leaves can display well rather than being pushed up against the tank. That would make some cover for your fish too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.