The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Long time reefer here, (saltwater). I just broke down my 215 gallon to switch over to FW for cost and maintenance reasons.

I have gotten it back up with 100 lbs of lava rock, sand substrate, running filter socks, ceramic media and carbon in a reactor. Currently cycling.

My plan was to try some hardier plants in a small refugium in the first chamber of my sump (less than 10 gallons) and maybe try some hardier low light demanding plant's in the tank. (I have 2 fluval sky leds for display & an aqueon nano led light for refugium)

I am going to have african cichlids (probably all mbuna) and I know they love to eat plants. So idk if the display tank is going to workout long term.

My main goal for having plants is nitrate reduction.

Can someone recommend some good species for the tank that mbunas may not destroy? And something small but fast growing that would work in the sump/refugium?

Pics attached of my reef I gave up and the current state of it now as a FW.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I'll defer to others..
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/100-low-tech-forum/40415-help-me-plant-my-malawi-mbuna-tank.html

What are the tank dimensions and size of fluvals?
Seems seriously under lighted.
A 72" beamswork (5 row models) will add some plant growing "kick" though suggest you wait till the DFA's go back in stock IF you consider it.
You don't need to "reef light" it but about 1/2-1WPG (yea I said it..;)) is about minimum w/ leds and that size tank.
72" DA 180 176x - 8000 lumen 144x 6500K, 32x Actinic
Need about 7000 lumens for "easy" plants.
https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/lighting-guide-26-w.asp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tank is 72x24x30

The fluvals are (2) 36-48"

If I need more light I would rather stick with the fluvals and just add 2 more. If that wouldn't work ill just stick to plants in the refugium. I'm not sure what if any plants will last with mbunas like I said.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,227 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would just stick with plants in your refugium. You could float Guppy Grass, Wisteria or Hornwort and it would be fine. If you put it in your refugium, you could just blast it with light without creating an algae problem in the display tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts