The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Others here with more experience will be able to better tell you, but to me it looks like it could be a general nutrient deficiency. Can you tell us more about the tank setup and regimen? Light, do you put any carbon source such as Excel, or fertilizers, liquid/dry/root tabs, etc.?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No :/ nothing really. Only thing I tried was co2. Think I'll try root tabs next. I just assumed the plants lived off the economy system of the water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
No :/ nothing really. Only thing I tried was co2. Think I'll try root tabs next. I just assumed the plants lived off the economy system of the water

You're right that the plants will live off the ecosystem, but it goes a bit deeper than that. If you're looking to build a thriving planted tank, definitely look into some of the references that are out there. The plantedtank reddit has some good beginner resources on the top left under "beginner". Here is one that talks about the basics of a planted tank: Basics to starting a Planted Tank - The Planted Tank.

A good understanding begins with the relationship between light, carbon, macronutrients (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium) and micronutrients. The fish in your tank will only contribute to some of these things, making an incomplete economy. It definitely takes a some work and lots of patience, but for many of us this is the rewarding part! :grin2:

And many consider root tabs to be a little more lower maintenance. I have some osmocote root capsules that others have had good success with, but have not experimented with them yet.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That bamboo plant isn't a real aquatic plant, although it can grow for quite awhile in water like that. What lighting are you using? And what are the tank dimensions? This is to see how much light you have, which is what determines what else you need.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay I've already gone to petco and am just now reading everything. My platy was laying at the bottom of the tank with her eyeball poked out. So I decided to divide my 55 gallon to do this right. I don't have alot of money to buy everything in the store like I did in the cycle phase lol so I decided to buy some dirt that is supposed to have everything in it. I didn't have enough for a light too.

The dirt I bought Food Art Font Visual arts Comfort food

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cool. Eco-complete is solid, but usually at some point or another will need to be supplemented with fertilizers. I can't speak to it directly, but a quick search on the forum will give you some more specific info on people's experience with it. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The amazon sword is losing its air leaves, the ones with long petioles and short blades. New water leaves with short petioles and long blades are growing in the center. It's normal and throws everybody new to planted tanks!

Sorry about your fish. Any idea what happened?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just read up it happens from infection or something wrong with the water. With the plants going bad, I figure I would just do it all over with better stuff. I wish the plants came with instructions, like about water or under water. Plus lights. I'm gonna try Lowes and see if they have anything cheaper

Water Plant Green Pet supply Botany

Hopefully I'll update it in a month it the is any improvement

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luggage and bags Bag Publication Baggage Fashion accessory

Wish me luck!
Petco was out of root tabs, none at walmart but lowes had some stuff in the gold fish pond section. I got 2 more bags of substract so it will be deep for roots and walmart had the lamp for 10 bucks.... might work, might not... im gonna try 1 fish to see if the fertilizer is harmful

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just got done filling it with water lol. Waiting on the cloudy to clear up.... I wish we had a fish store around here. Petco is this only place we have. Most the plants are almost dead anyway. Has anyone ever found outdoor plants? Like in a river or pond and used it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Liquid Fluid Solution Cosmetics Plastic bottle

Ammonia off the charts lol. Guess i gotta do a few water changes .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.