The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 29gallon set up for about 5 months now. Everything is doing awesome in it!!

Got my 40gal going last week and started adding Dwarf Hair grass to give it a "lawn" Found out by reading this forum that the dwarf hair I purchased from PetCo was grown Emmersed not Immersed.

Does this mean my grass is going to die? It's been in there for about 4 days now and does not seem to be browning or dieing.

Also I finally found Riccia at PetCo but they have it in small plastic cups with a spritz of water - if I buy this stuff will it die if I submerge it or should I acclimate it slowly?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anything the emmersed leaves will die off and it will transition to its immersed form.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Don't worry about it. If your conditions are correct for growing plants, they will grow. But yes, you may see the emersed growth die off while it transitions to the submerged growth.

The vast majority of aquatic plants that are sold and purchased in aquarium stores and nurseries are in their emersed form, so get used to it. That's why many of us use the Swap n Shop, instead of ordering from a nursery or LFS. Still though, emersed aquatic plants generally transition just fine into their submerged forms in a few weeks, with no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.