The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the whole planted tank fresh water scene I've been into saltwater and reefing a few years now and love it.. i currently have a 57 gallon reef tank setup, but i would also like a planted tank i have my old frag tank lying around its a 20 gallon long and with fish need it 4x24w t5 light on it so was wondering if i can turn that into a planted tank. I don't wanna run any co2. i have a aquaclear hob and a heater what else do i need to get started hear?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you want to set up your 20gal as a low tech w/out CO2 you'll need to significantly reduce the lighting. 1x24 of T5 might work. Or a dual bulb T8 fixture.

Beyond that, you'll need to pick up a substrate (TONS of options there... check out the substrate forum and prepare to be overwhelmed about how much us planted tankers love arguing about DIRT! lol) Easy route would be to pick up two bags of Eco Complete or Flourite (be prepared to rinse Flourite really, really well before use).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok the the light has two separate switches so i can run only two bulbs or one bulb... what bulb temp should i use… would 20pounds of the eco complete be enough ?… can i use rodi water?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
RO water ISNT (imo) the best thing for planted tanks UNLESS you are using the EI dosing method and want to know EXACTLY whats in the water. These minerals that are in the water (Magnes, Phoshates, Phosphurus (sp) are important to plants. NO need to take it away from them.

Straight tap is fine, UNLESS you have bad (high ph) water.

For a 20long I think you might need two bags. You want some depth for the plant roots.

6000 - 6700 some use 10K

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks for the help the guy at my lfs said to use one bag the eco complete and a bag of gravel for the top is this right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iam also wondering what some good fish to stock are im going to be putting a crown tail beta in there, i wanted some neon tetras but i read that the beta might kill them what are some other options?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
30" by 12"
LxWxH = 30"L 12"W? If so I can't see one bag being enough, unless the LFS said add a bag of gravel for the shortage. MIXING it in.

iam also wondering what some good fish to stock are im going to be putting a crown tail beta in there, i wanted some neon tetras but i read that the beta might kill them what are some other options?
I had a Betta in my 55 community (red Female) she was OK from time to time but could get a little nippy. I have 6 Cardinals and 10 Rummies, they were obviously faster than her.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Here is a substrate calculator

Cheapest route
Plants - ferns, mosses, and anubias
Substrate-True value or Scott's top soil topped with sand (river sand)
Scott's top soil I get at Wall-mart. River sand I get at landscapers. Total cost $5

If you want to have different plants. Miracle grow organic is recommended by Walsted, whom has a book on El Natural

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Cheapest light system would be 2 clip on lights like mizu-chan
Best light fixture I think for a 20 gallon long is coralife T5NO from Pet Blvd. lauraleellbp has one over her her 20g long tank.

If you buy from Home Depot make certain that they have the replacement bulbs. Also you need a good reflector.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts