The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just registered. I am a noob. I used to have a fish tank several years ago. Recently I have wanted to get back into it and I wanna have a really nice planted tank.

I have yet to but my tank, or anything I need for that matter. I have decided to plan this out in advance.

My question is:
How would this light work for a tank and what would be the best size tank to use it with. It is a 96W T5 designed for horticultural uses. It is pretty much brand new. It is 6500K. It is about 24x15 inches.
Im hoping this light will work, its a really good light and worth about $100.

My dad is an exceptional woodworker so he and I would build a custom stand to house the tank and the light.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
There other variables for you to consider.... what kind of plants do you want to grow, and how deep will your tank be? If you're growing low light plants it will likely be fine. But if you want a carpet of HC (Hemianthus Callitrichoides}, my experience is you will need higher light. Then again, that all depends on how deep your tank will be.

You'll see a lot of talk about watts per gallon. Here is an interesting article to take that rule with a grain of salt:

http://rexgrigg.com/mlt.html

Welcome to this wonderful hobby. You're doing the right thing by planning and learning before you make your investment in a tank and plants and fish and tools and substrate and rocks and wood (LOL).

Sorry i didnt really answer your question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jasa for the quick reply,

Would this light be adequate for a regular 29G tank? I was thinking other either a 29G tank or a 55G tank. I don't wanna go much bigger than that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.