The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

im new to the forums and to planted tanks!

first of all HI!!

my names andrew and iv been keeping fish for the last 3 years or so, iv currently got 4 tanks:

100 liter - my colony of 6 zebra pleco's, a shoal of cardinal tetras & some shrimp.

90 liter - 6 corydoras weitzmani, 10 microrasbora glaxy, 2 x L316 pleco's.

160 liter - with just 6 baby synodontis petricolas in at the moment, going to add more tanginikans when i have the money!

and that bring me to this tank (the one im hoping to plant!)
its a nano cube 30cm x 30cm and only 28 Liters, it came with a small filter and a small heater and im hoping to plant it with a little bog wood to add my galaxy rasboras to it and some shrimp.

iv bought a small tub of tetra plant substrate to add under the gravel and a sera co2 start kit and now i dont know what plants to add!

i want somethings that grow taller to cover the heater and pump ect but in the forground i want something fast ish growing that carpets the floor but doesnt grow too high as the tanks small and i dont want it to over take it. i was also thinking about adding a moss wall on the back to make it look cool!

but basically i have not got much knowledge of which plants would work and i need some hits, tips and advice! the water in there will be coolish for a galaxy's and around about neutral ph.

hope someone can help!

thanks for reading.

best regards,

andy

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcom to the board!

First of all, when considering the types of plants viable in your aquarium, we also need to know the amount of light you have over the tank. Many plants' viability depends upon the amount of energy it can receive from your setup, so you'll have to take this into consideration.

When it comes to nanos, everyone's favorite foreground plant is Hemianthus callitrichoides (we just call it HC around here.) To use this plant, though, you're going to need quite a bit of light, so keep that in mind. Riccia is also a perennial favorite, but you have to tie it down. As for background plants, quite a few work, depending upon your tastes. People use Hemianthus micranthemoides, Rotalia nanjeshan, Rotalia wallachi- lots of things, but if you look around and see everyone's setups, you can decide what you like. Moss walls are cool- just be careful that the back is well sealed so that none of your little inhabitants can get stuck back there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi there,

thanks for your reply!

the light came with the tank and is 11watts. its the tank pfk gave away free for a subscription, im already read a few threads and see that somone else has the same tank!

11 watts doesnt sound like much but it actually seems to be a very bright light...

is 11 watts ok for a tank of this type?

·
Registered
171 Posts
where did you get the tank from could you please tell me :hihi:

For a foreground i have found hairgrass to work well in a nano i had in the past. If you want a lot of hairgrass cheep try looking in the pond section of a garden centre :icon_wink I know its difficult to find a lot of hairgrass cheep for a low price in the uk. Dont worry if it looks brown when you get it, it grows back. Hairgrass is usually named under its scientific name in the pond section so make sure you note it down before looking for it.

about the light. I had a 2.5 gallon nano that had a 20watt desk lamp over it. If the light you get with the tank doesnt work try a more powerfull desk lamp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its this tank:

i got it free when i subscribed to practical fish keeping magazine. the offer isnt on anymore tho:icon_frow

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you could buy these exact ones on ebay, plus the same tank but slightly larger but iv just done a search and cant find them anymore.

they we're about £60 if i remember correctly and they are made in germany.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts