The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a few plants in my tank before I got a MAJOR algea(the kind on the glass) outbreak. The plants were doing fine but I couldn't get the algea off them and didn't want to risk re-infecting the tank, so I got rid of them and bought all new plants. I'm not really sure what all I got(don't remember the names), but they were sold to me as low light except the one is medium light. They are all doing ok, but not great.:hihi: After reading a lot of posts about this, I've concluded I might need a higher lighting(I have a 15 watt now), ferts?, and I hope not Co2(sounds too confusing). If I do need any of this stuff, how do I do it since I know nothing about it. Here's my tank specs:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
20 gal tall show tank w/ flourite substrate
fake driftwood with java fern TRYING to attach(will it work on fake stuff?)
2 little plants I think are Saggataria(i can't spell)..short with long thin leaves
2 plants I think were myrio?...tall frilly plant
A really tall plant(no clue what kind)..long stem,leaves touch top of water
Java moss should be here by Thursday

I'm not sure if it changes anything, but the whole tank is in direct sunlight in the late afternoon for a few hours. Does sunlight do much for them? I was told the sunlight was the cause of the last algea problem.?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Take a few minutes and read my Guide.

And does the algae on the glass just happen to be most heavy where the sunlight hits the tank?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, get more light & do read Rex's site it is very helpful I still refer to sites like this for fert help.
Your java fern will work on the fake wood that is how a got mine started.
"2 plants I think were myrio?...tall frilly plant" will not fair too well with the lights that you have.
Have you bought a test kit for your water yet? this is a must have.
Finally....Read, Read, Read.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts