The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I'm new to this forum and this is my first post , I have a 75 Gallon planted aquarium that things aren't going really well in , and I was hoping some of you guys could help me sort it out. The aquarium has been up and running with fish in it for about 2 years , it's completely cycled and the fish are doing well. Here are the stats of the setup.

75 Gallon Aquarium , Finnex Planted+ 48" LED directly on top
Fluval 405 340GPH canister filter sponges/polyfill/bio balls
300w heater maintains 78 degrees in the tank
Fully stocked with fish , 3 large angelfish , 3 Gouramis ,6 blackskirt
tetras , 6 corydoras robustus , 2 bolivian rams , 4 khuli loaches and
a single clown loach.
Flourish root tabs at the base of every plant (5 weeks old)
Light is on a timer 4 hours morning and 4 hours evening
I do large water changes , probably 60-70% every Sunday
There are a few varieties of amazon sword , anubias , water
wisteria , crypts.

The problem I'm having is the Swords are growing well , the anubias has spots all over the old leaves and very pale new leaves , the water wisteria is growing deformed new leaves are oversized and pale and roots are growing all up the stem , and I'm getting algae everywhere. I dose Excel daily per the instructions on the bottle and Flourish Comprehensive twice a week per instructions on the bottle.
I also add 1tbsp baking soda and 1 tbsp Equillibrium at each water change. My tap water is ridiculously soft.
My water parameters are as follows:

In the tank - pH-6.4/6.6
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10/20ppm
GH-2
KH-3
Phosphate- 0.5/1.0ppm
TDS-130ppm

From the tap(Artesian Well)- pH-6.0
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
GH>1
KH>1
Phosphate-0
TDS-14ppm

What I think is going on is some type of deficiency , just not sure of what. The guy at the LFS says Flourish Comprehensive should cover everything but I'm not so sure. I don't think it takes into account that my tap water is completely devoid of minerals , I've also read that it doesn't really have much in the line of macros?

Should I be doing something different at water changes to get my GH up?

Are there other issue at play here that I've completely over looked?

I'm a complete newbie at this and any help would be greatly appreciated , any other info that I may not have provided I can do my best to get.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm new too so grain of salt here. I'm wondering that since your water is so mineral free, maybe up the equilibrium dose some. Also, perhaps dosing Flourish Trace in addition to Flourish Comp?
Finally, my friend Byron swears off using Excel and I don't use it because I understand that Jungle Val can't take it. Perhaps stop using Excel for awhile to see what happens?
Finally, I think we need to be patient with new planted setups as it takes plants some time to settle in to a new environment. I understand that often new plants will melt back to nearly nothing, then begin growing like gang busters.

Edit: I also think you might back off on your weekly water change volume to say 20% or so...or even skip a week. It seems to me we want to achieve balance, but have sufficient nutrients in the water for the plants. In a sense, with a high volume water change, you're flushing good nutrients away and nearly starting over every week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post , I did consider adding some Flourish trace , I also considered switching to dry ferts / EI dosing , I want to get some input on here first because I'd hate to do something to make the algae worse , or kill all the plants. I think I definitely do need to add more Equillibrium , or else switch to another/better GH booster, were on the same page there.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Often times, new wisteria growth has that look and it seems to be more pronounced if the plant has undergone some sort of shock similar to crypt melting. This happens to my wisteria when I move it from my high tech tank to my low tech tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The primary thing that causes you to need to add nutrients to the water is the plant growth rate, which is determined by how much light you have. A Planted Plus light at about 20 inches from the substrate gives you medium light intensity, too much to not add nutrients. Flourish is a trace element mix, with negligible amounts of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium in it. To get significant amounts you need to dose them separately, either using dry chemicals, or using bottled chemicals, like Flourish Nitrogen, etc. I suggest you start using Flourish Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium, to see what effect they have. If you like the improved growth, then consider the cheap approach, using dry chemicals. Also, since you don't use CO2, and none of your plants are sensitive to Excel, start dosing that daily, at twice what Seachem recommends. I'm betting you will have much better plant growth, and less algae problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.