The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Like some others said, if possible go with a bigger tank. Easier to take care of being more stable, and you could have a few more fish.

If you stay with the 5gal, I would think you need to keep to 1 of the species you listed, with the shrimp only being the best idea. Shrimp are very entertaining. And this way they would breed and babies would not get eaten. Shrimp are a little more sensitive so you want to establish the tank, and make sure its fully cycled before you start. Here is a good link for starting a tank, including info on the nitrogen cycle which is very important....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1960797#post1960797

6 months is a bit long, but could be done in 1 month maybe. Are the shrimp you are looking at Red Rili shrimp or more common cherry shrimp? I don't know of too many fish stores that stock rili's but cherries are very common. They are both related to each other, as rili's just have a clear mid section with red head area. May be easier to start with some good brighty colored cherries as they will be easy to keep and are good starter shrimp. Check around on prices too, some ppl sell good cherry shrimp here on the forums in the swap/shop section. Also can find good deals on aquabid.com (ebay for fishkeepers).

I would start first with selecting your tank and getting the water cycling, then you can decide what to put it in when the cycle is complete and ready for inhabitants.

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place. Whatever you decide do your research, as knowing what to do before you start will save you time and money in the end. Lots of good info for you here at the plantedtank.

· Registered
362 Posts
Cool, never seen a LFS with those. They are basically the same as cherries, just a little fancier, but will live in similar water parameters. Get your tank going when you can so it can start getting the water and bacteria going to be ready for them when you get them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.