The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to the planted tank world. I've had reef tanks in the past but have always admired the beautiful planted aquariums that I've come across online from time to time. I decided to pick up a 40 breeder and give it a shot

My setup so far...

40 breeder with a Finnex 24/7 36" LED Light
Aquaclear 110 (500)
Koralia 1050
200 Watt Finnex heater with digital thermostat
25lbs of Nat Geo black gravel (same size as flo-max gravel)
20lbs of Flo-Max

I ordered 4 pots of the dwarf hair grass that's supposed to stay around 2-3" tall and got that planted on Friday. I didn't get fancy with the aquascape, I just left the gravel flat and planted the grass. I'll get fancy after I learn what I'm doing.

I'm wanting to do co2 to get things going. I have access to 20lb co2 tanks for free at work so I need to get a good regulator and ph controller. I don't want to buy something that's going to clog on me in a few months and since I'm new to this I want to know some decent brands and what's worth investing in. I'm not sure what all I need but I'm hoping you guys can share with me some vital information that will assist me in setting up a stable environment. I won't be adding fish for a while, I just want to focus on the plants for now.

Please point me in the right direction of a co2 regulator, reactor, bubble counter, ph controller, etc... What do I need folks?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

I'll post a picture of my sorry looking display for you all to see what I'm working with so far...haha

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hi and welcome to the hobby.

A monoculture is fine but in the beginning I would strongly suggest adding more fast growing plants. Consider Egeria/Elodea, Rotalas, Hygrophilas and some floating plants. You can slowly remove them after your aquarium is stable enough.

For this setup I would also say hurry with the CO2. At a basic level you need the bottle, the regulator, the electrovalve and a check valve. As the pH controller is more expensive you can leave it for later. A cheap way for you to inject the CO2 in the aquarium would be a ceramic diffuser below the Koralia. Reactors are more efficient but most designs require an external canister filter.

As you will not have any fish soon, you can just crank the CO2 up. In my opinion bubble counters are hard to read and the actual [buble count - CO2 added] differs from one model to the other. Try a drop checker in the aquarium to give you a ball park of what are the CO2 levels.

How long is the light on ?
What do you plant to use as fertilizers ?

I also suggest adding some algae eaters after the aquarium has cycled ... snails and shrimps for example.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I'm going to swing by a Petco or Petsmart to see about getting those plants you suggested. I'll wait until the tnak is cycled and keep the ones I like and ditch the rest. I bought a co2 Regulator online and have a 20lb tank ready to go. the regulator is the common Milwaukee job with the bubble counter setup and solenoid. I also added a ceramic co2 diffuser to the order as well.

I'll have to look into a drop checker, I missed that one when I was doing my order =(

I'm not sure what fertilizers I need, I haven't really thought that much ahead, lol. I was just going to do the dwarf hairgrass a piece of driftwood and a Black Piranha =) which leads me to the next part....I may need some bush like plants in there so the snails and shrimps can hide from the piranha.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.