The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 38 gallon tank w/ 96watt light. 2 Bio Wheel filters (each made for 50gal capacity). It has been set up as a low light tank for over a year, and I just made the switch a few weeks ago. I am beginning to get both types of algae growing, and desided the largest factor must be the lack of co2. But from what I read, co2 LOWERS the PH. This is a problem as for what ever reason, my PH already goes lower on its own. I constantly have to add baking soda to my tank to bring it back up, and dont know why it won't regulate. Ammonia Nitrate and Nitrite levels are fine. What could my problem be?

James

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have a 38 gallon tank w/ 96watt light. 2 Bio Wheel filters (each made for 50gal capacity). It has been set up as a low light tank for over a year, and I just made the switch a few weeks ago. I am beginning to get both types of algae growing, and desided the largest factor must be the lack of co2. But from what I read, co2 LOWERS the PH. This is a problem as for what ever reason, my PH already goes lower on its own. I constantly have to add baking soda to my tank to bring it back up, and dont know why it won't regulate. Ammonia Nitrate and Nitrite levels are fine. What could my problem be?

James
What kind of PH drop are we talking about? The PH drop that results from PH injection does not harm fish in my experience. And fluctuating PH levels are more likely stress your fish out and kill them. For the sake of your fish, consistent PH is most important(excluding any drop caused by c02 injection). Most fish and plants can tolerate and adapt to a wide range of PH and water hardness. Most people who use really soft water or reverse osmosis water will often dose Seachem Equilibrium to replenish and ensure appropriate minerals and buffering that may be lost due to the reverse osmosis process. I could be wrong, but I believe GH is considered far more important than KH as far as plant growth and health are concerned. I have not heard too many good things about baking soda dosing as far as plant growth goes, but have not tried so cannot speak to it. Hopefully others who have done so, will chime in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts