The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 gallon tank that I posted a journal for here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...41899-sabrinas-5-gallon-tank-more-plants.html
It is slowly progressing but I do need some advice on a few things.

I will be setting up DIY co2 soon, will that help with the growth of my HC?
I know it is a slow-grower, but it seems to be doing poorly, I hope that adding the co2 will fix that. What is the easiest way to plant HC? I am using sand substrate (which I know wasn't the best choice for a beginner) and little bits of HC keep getting uprooted and floating to the top. Some loose pieces of the HC got intertwined with the Java Moss I have growing on some DW and started growing in and out of it, which actually looks kinda cool, but I am wondering if that will continue or if the HC will eventually get swallowed/choked out by the moss.

Another thing I have noticed and have some concern about is that my DHG is growing through some of my HC patches. I imagine this will cause a problem considering HC is so sensitive and mine isn't very grown in yet. What can/should I do to fix this?

The DHG is growing marvelously and is shooting little roots/runners all over the surface of the sand. I am wondering about the little shoots that are coming from the top though, they "branch off" and grow up toward the surface. Should I clip these and replant them or what?

Any tips or advice on what I could do to improve my plant growth would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
HC is a carbon whore, low carbon = failed HC. Get that DIY running asap.
You might also find it will melt away so it looks totally dead and then out of nowhere tiny green leaves will start to appear, from that point on HC grows in pretty quick IME.

Sand is a struggle with HC as it will float, you can plant with anchors which has worked well for me in Manado (which sux by the way, has no weight)
HC at 6m 41s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44cDbR2YvK4

·
Registered
435 Posts
DIY will be absolutely great in a 5g. My 13g HC carpet was grown with 1 x 1lt DIY. Just get a reasonable ceramic diffuser. If there is no fauna in the tank put lots of yeast in and have it cranking. You will need to change it every 6-7 days to start with then just do back to a normal recipe to add fauna.

DIY is good up to about 25-30g, then it is only feasible to use pressurized.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.