The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to planted tank. Basically I have a 55gl tank. I want to have HC for carpet. I have been doing some research on dry start. For the substrate,
I narrowed it down to ADA amazonia and Eco Complete. Which one is good with HC? For light, I have a 48" 216 watts (4X54 watt) 10,000K. I think this should be good enough. I far as I know, I will need to plant the HC in emerge stage first. Basically keep the soil misted and cover the tank with saran wrap to keep it humid and turn the light on for at least 8 hrs.

Once the tank is submerged. I will need to introduce C02. Along with the C02, do I need to dose the plant with nitrate, phosphate, photasium and etc.,? Also is tap water safe? or it needs treatments? Sorry I have a lot of questions but I appreciate it if you guys can help me out. By the way I'm doing this for my dad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The ada substrate is the way to go if you can afford it.

10000k lights are usually for reefs. Bulbs closer to 6500k would be better. That is also a lot of light. You'll probably have trouble getting enough co2 once you fill the tank with water unless you only use two bulbs or raise the light up high.

With that much light you def need to dose nutrients. Look up ei dosing.

Tap water usually has chloramine or chlorine in it. You'll need to treat it with something like seachem prime.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ada substrate is the way to go if you can afford it.

10000k lights are usually for reefs. Bulbs closer to 6500k would be better. That is also a lot of light. You'll probably have trouble getting enough co2 once you fill the tank with water unless you only use two bulbs or raise the light up high.

With that much light you def need to dose nutrients. Look up ei dosing.

Tap water usually has chloramine or chlorine in it. You'll need to treat it with something like seachem prime.
Thank! I'm planning to use 2 bulbs. I can't afford Ada substrate so I went with the Eco complete. I'm going to start DSM is weekend. By the way can you mist the HC Flourish products? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.