The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello... I have been in to aquariums for years but have never tried to do a Planted tank I have:
46 Gal Bow front
C220 marineland filter
insta max pressurize CO2 with a insta max reactor
fluorite substrate

I am trying to figure out what light to use I have been looking at the finnex lights and the marineland planted light....

any knowledge anyone could share would be greatly appreciated:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
First off, welcome! Always glad to convert someone to a planted tank. Anyway, the best thing to do is post the dimensions of your tank. It is probably 36"x16"x21" based on my Google search. That tells us a handful of things. The 21" deep mean something like a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 will likely be on the low side of medium light and will cover your 16" spread fine as long as nothing grows too closely to the surface.

I don't know much about your CO2 system, so someone else will have to chime in on that. But you should be able to use any light that someone uses on a 75g, 55g or 90g on this light (albeit the 36" model and not the 48") with good success since it is a similar height.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are right about the dimensions of the tank... I appreciate your help

Bump: What would be a good light that will provide high light to a depth of 21" ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a very similar tank, bow front 40 gallon which is 20 inches deep. I am also a penny pincher. I am in the process of building a hood to fit over the top. It will contain (8) Philips T2, 6500k, 1600 lumen CFL bulbs, cost was about $28 for the bulbs. All of the plants I have are bright light plants.

I would like to add that I got a call into Philips Lighting, there going to send me the Spectrum from the bulbs mentioned above,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I bought the Finnex planted+ 24/7 it is a very cool light I am pretty sure that I will have to buy another one next payday but so far I really like the Light

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I also just bought the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 - 48" for my 60g. I'm running it in 24/7 mode right now and have just pulled the plastic and planted real plants (flourish root tabs and Flourish Comprehensive) - it's too soon to know how effective it will be (may need to run in max for a greater duration but would like to stay in 24/7 if it works?)

Note: looks a little bare but you gotta start somewhere!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts