The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the site and to planted tanks really. I've been reading lots of feeds on here: great stuff! Switching from goldfish with anubias only and going to tropical. I have a 25g tall (24l x 12d x 20h) with an eclipse hood with bio wheel, etc. Been running this tank with goldfish for about 8 1/2 years now. Mass extinction, scrubbed down tank, took a break, now the switch. Still have some small/medium anubias varieties with inert gravel. Inhabitants now: 2 otos, 2 nerites, 2 African dwarf frogs. Still waiting for lfs to get in some blue non-wag platties or swords. May just go with neons or something. Miss the peaceful goldfish.

Questions:
-I bought a hollow piece of wood at lfs that is going through a gross slime phase (read the threads). If I can make it through that without getting rid of it, is there something I can use to make it look like a tree without going to moss? Moss is pretty but don't want my tank covered and like lower maint. I read the moss tree threads. Looking for lower maintenance with low light. No melty/crypt plants either as I may move in the next year or so.

-About the slime: my otos don't seem to want to eat it and neither do the nerites. Other threads said they would like it. Slime also has air bubbles in it and top of water is getting a sudsy look. Didn't notice this in other posts. Been 3 days. Take it out or wait?

-My hood has 2 18" T8 bulbs. One burned out and I want to replace it or both. What should I buy given my tank parameters? Want low light/low tech. Have inert gravel. Want to find some plants that grow taller also. So what type and wattage for this?

-Should I attach all my anubias to rocks or wood. Had a few rot when I covered too much of the root when moving things around for that wood piece.

Thanks in advance for any all advice! Sorry if this is too many questions for one post. :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'd keep the florescent lights, maybe swap then to a 6500K bulb, that's usually excellent for plants, also a2 bulb hood for that size tank is pretty rare, most are single

Anubias usually grows best attached to something (or wedges in between) though once they get established and staying growing they are OK to be left growing across the substrate on their own

The tree, no idea most of the ones I remember are miss of some sort

The slime, you can take the wood out, scrub it off and put it back in the tank, or you might be able to such most of it off with a siphon, though if you try that use just a small tube rather than a gravel vac, might need to repeat a couple times, but it fades quickly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.