The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is my first planted tank and have read and know what step need to get it done i'm getting stuck in lighting situation. I got a 29 gallons tank 30" in length, 12" in width, and 18 in high. My plan is to have carpet tank with dwarf hairgrass and few background and mid ground plants. I know depend on plant its needs mid to high light setting. What is best for 29 gallons tank? i search and see some people change their light to lower light and some to get more light. I don't want to over kill with the light and kill everything in the tank. I already have the subtrate and gravel laye out and just need to clarify with what type of light source to get.6700k up to or 6700k down? excuse my typing and thank in advance.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
DHG is a plant that is hard to get right. There are a few carpet plants that you can get that don't need so much experience to grow. Just look in the Algae section at all the threads about having algae on DHG...and most of these people have experince.
This thread has charts that give you the PAR value of differet kinds of lights.
But up higher it tells you what to expect from any level light. Look wher it says "Low light med light hgh light" Most on here will tell you that it is overly cautious.
But it is still fairly close and you will need the equipment listed in each category
to keep out algae. I believe it would be safe to say that 90% of all who have DHG have injected CO2. I have one tank/w PAR more than where it says you need CO2 and have none and no noticabe algae. So it is overly cautious like I said but being new you
may take a while to learn how to avoid the algae if you get light in the med or high range. If I were just starting I would get light in the 40-50 PAR range by selecting one of those which says it has that amount at 15" for your tank.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would first decide on what type of tank I was going to run.High energy(High tech) CO2 enhanced, or low tech non CO2 and read up on both.
If I was new to planted tank effort's, I might select low tech method where not much light is needed,no CO2,and minimal maint.
A wise man once told me..'choose a method,and learn it well. then try another.
Everything happen's very quickly in CO2 enhanced tank's with higher lighting and is steep learning curve while trying to get CO2 dialed in ,good distribution ,good flow,regular fertilizer routine to achieve desired result's. (algae happen's quickly also).
Low tech method gives one a chance to observe thing's at a slower pace,plant's get buy with less light,no co2 ehancement,fewer water changes (although more doesn't hurt),and fertilizer's maybe once a week or every two week's.
Try not to put too much into those who say,,, "well this work's in my tank whether it be CO2 injection rate,, fert routine,,, lighting period,etc for their tank is not your tank, and what may work for them might not work for you.
Choose someone who is running a tank like you desire, and seem's to be knowledgeable,and follow their advice rather than trying to use bit's of everyone's advice = much confusion.
If their advice work's,,well then good. If not,,,at least you can say you tried and followed their suggestion's.
Best advice I can offer is ,,study what aquatic plant's need to grow, and you will spend less time studying /exploring way's to stop algae.
6700K bulb's will work fine as will nearly any bulb's.More important that you like the way the light/tank look's.
Plant's are very good at using what light is available and there is no magic spectrum that will increase or decrease the health of the plant's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Have you considered a Finnex Planted+. I have one on my 29G. I have capped dirt substrate, and do not use CO2. My plants are doing very well. I have never tied dwarf hair grass, I went with a different with my plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts