The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im new here and to the hobby of planted aquariums and i need a few suggestion and help with a new setup that im thinking about doing.

I have a 20H gallon fish tank and what i want to do is get:

• 2 bags of eco-complete (to get 2inch of substrate)
  • Eheim 2213
  • Nova Extreme 24" 2x24watts T5 HO Freshwater
  • (later on maybe) Lilly pipe inflow/outflow set
as for plants i'll figure that out later. I wanted to have 2.4 WPG bc i didnt want to be restricted to only low light plants thus this way I'll have more of a variety and yes i am going to have a DIY CO2 system to comprehend with the wattage.

Okay and here is some questions that I needed help with:

• is it better to have a glass top or open top? (as of now i have a glass top on)
  • Can you use a GLA inline CO2 diffuser with a DIY CO2 set up instead of pressurized CO2 system?
  • Can I do better then an Eheim 2213, its on sale on BigAl's for $69.99, $81.00 after tax shipping n handling?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would say that the glass top is really dependent on the fish you have as well as preference. I have had glass top on and off and have not noticed any significant difference in the rate of evaporation (but this will vary greatly with temperature). Some fish are jumpers like hatchetfish so they need a top. I personally prefer it without a top.

An inline diffuser and DIY CO2 should be fine for a 20 gallon tank in terms of getting the CO2 levels high.

As for the eheim, can't help you there.

good luck!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah Canada, the glass top really isn't necessary, but like what he also said, it depends on the kind of fish you got. And the glass top does reduce a small amount of light if the bulb is put over the glass. Sometimes the glass tops get stained, and that might block off like 7-10% of light. I have a glass top, only because I got little people in the house occasionally, and they always throw something in the tank... lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.