The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many aquariums over the past 38 years(since 7) but my main focus has been reefs, and this is my first planted.
At present, I'd like to add some easy ground cover, thinking of sidthumunki loaches for snail control, and would like something for algae control.
Not sure on add of plecos for planted.
Here's my specs:
75g, T5light 4x54w, Fluval 304, 3-4" ecocomplete sub (not running C02 at present)
Plants:
Val(lots of it) anubis, bacopa(?) onion
Fish:
Veil angel, sterbari cories, cardinals, swords,diamond tetras, longfin zebra danio's
I really like fancy gups as well, may add, thinking of dennisons too.
Any advice is very appreciated, TIA

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
check out the articles here
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles.php?d

it'll give a general info to what to expect.
Sounds like you'll have what you want but you'll need CO2 and nutrients to grow any ground cover plants. If you can't do CO2 just yet, lower your lights and add easy to grow plants like vals, ferns, anubias and stem plants.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
I've been growing those plants already w/ good success.
I just rescaped, and used all eco-complete sub, hope that wasn't a mistake, I've seen a number of mixtures on other tanks.
I was told by a friend a while back that plecos can wreak havoc on planted tanks, w/ some exceptions.
Is this true, and what kind are desireable?
I'll post tank pics when water clears.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
ok. with your new setup, you'll need carbon of some sort, CO2 or excel and fertilizers. You'll have fun with algae otherwise.

You can get a specific type of pleco that won't eat plants, Bristle Nose, and otos. Mind you, algae eaters will not solve your algae problems.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Your plan sounds good so far. As mentioned already, you may want to look into CO2. You'll probably want pressurized for the size of your tank; the DIY isn't so reliable once you get over 30 gallons, I have found.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, this has been running for about 6mo prior to my just recent rescape.
I had a mosh of 3 subs, and it looked sloppy, so I went all black eco.
I do run carbon in my fluval, and flourish excel/API leaf zone.
I don't have much for algae issues, but lately have seen a lil what looks like hair algae, but have been picking out by hand.
Originally I decided no C02, and was pointed to bicarbonate plants, but I may add C02 at some point, especially as I'm really drawn to HC(baby tears?) and glosso.
Maybe micro sword will saffice for ground cover.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I have right now.
Water is still a lil cloudy as I just rescaped this all yesterday.
I did make sure to use some of the old substrate underneath to boost bio, so a lil flourite underneath, maybe 1/2".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts