The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set this up a few weeks back but I think it didn't have enough light (was running with a 10 watt spiral bulb), plus I haven't actually dosed ferts yet...

But this weekend I got that piece of wood and some rocks so decided to spend a little bit of time on it. I was going for a "rocky riverbed" kind of look.

It sits on this shelf on my desk. The light was on a 5.5 but she decided to upgrade her light so now I have this 18W compact fluorescent light over it. The bulb is a 13 inch bulb, so the actual bulb part pretty much covers my tank.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe it or not, the shelf is rated to 25 lbs. I made sure to check the desk manual before I put it there. I've had it there for about 3 weeks...

However, since my estimate of its weight (2 gallons of water = 16lbs, 5 lbs of eco complete...21... but the combination of added rocks today and the tank and light...) was a little low (actually about 30 lbs)...I did move it down to the desktop. Rated for 125 lbs. *sigh* oh well, that shelf seemed perfect for a tank...but not this one.

RESGuy, in response to your question, no the wood is not fake. It is just a small piece of african root wood I found at a store this weekend.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Believe it or not, the shelf is rated to 25 lbs. I made sure to check the desk manual before I put it there. I've had it there for about 3 weeks...

However, since my estimate of its weight (2 gallons of water = 16lbs, 5 lbs of eco complete...21... but the combination of added rocks today and the tank and light...) was a little low (actually about 30 lbs)...I did move it down to the desktop. Rated for 125 lbs. *sigh* oh well, that shelf seemed perfect for a tank...but not this one.

RESGuy, in response to your question, no the wood is not fake. It is just a small piece of african root wood I found at a store this weekend.
You could just but 3 wooden supports on the bottom of the shelf (each corner against the back of the desk)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could just but 3 wooden supports on the bottom of the shelf (each corner against the back of the desk)
I'll consider it, perhaps with some leftovers from the next stand that seems to be in the works.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't plan to update/post new pictures this soon however, I noticed this tonight:

Is this pearling? I haven't done any water changes. I've been dosing fluorish ferts following a nano daily dosing chart someone made for about three days now. I realize it is not a good picture, but I just wanted to capture this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks like pearling to me. Is it all over all your plants? I have some plants that seem to pearl more than others...Adding any co2? DIY? Excel?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is on most of the plants, but not the cabomba or riccia. We just noticed it tonight. Only added CO2 is excel. I figured that was the simplest method with such a small tank. I use 1/2 mL syringes to dose ferts...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Plants can look like they're pearling if they're near a HOB filter with a strong output. I'd think you'd need some kind of carbon dioxide being injected into your tank for pearling but I could be wrong. My tank pearls with high lighting and diy co2.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Plants can look like they're pearling if they're near a HOB filter with a strong output. I'd think you'd need some kind of carbon dioxide being injected into your tank for pearling but I could be wrong. My tank pearls with high lighting and diy co2.
I see, cool. I hope mine pearl when I dose Excel. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. The pictured plants are actually at the opposite end of the HOB filter, which is just a little azoo palm filter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
So how's this tank coming along? I want an update! hehe! :) I want to see how that riccia mat is looking! Pictures, por favor?

Have you added anything fauna or flora wise?

·
Registered
889 Posts
So how's this tank coming along? I want an update! hehe! :) I want to see how that riccia mat is looking! Pictures, por favor?

Have you added anything fauna or flora wise?
Yes I am interested in some new updates too :) (We need some movement in the Nano Forums :hihi: )

P.S. I didn't know you spoke Spanish Cydric:icon_lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hehe, ok...an update.

I added some shrimp to it for now. It is my first attempt at shrimp. Because of that, I changed out the filter for a small sponge filter, so I had to kind of rearrange. But I thought the sponge filter looked nice than a big aquaclear sponge on the filter, plus that azoo palm filter wasn't really powerful enough at sucking water through the sponge for my liking.

So...I rescaped a little last night, hopefully when things grow in the filter won't be noticeable.

The riccia does not like to stay down...but I think eventually when I have the patience I will get it.

Unfortunately, the tank has snails...I'll try to get rid of them when I have the time too.

Sorry for the lack of updates, we've been a bit busy fishwise lately. We're setting up a planted 75 soon hopefully, and as soon as the driftwood comes, our 72 can be completely. The CO2 regulator for that, completing our CO2 system, was shipped so should arrive this week. Plus, we're trying our hand at raising some discus... (can you tell we have the fish bug bad?)

Hopefully this afternoon I will take some new pictures.

ETA: Any suggestions for other fish to add? Or perhaps suggestions for any different plants that would look good? When I was moving plants around, I noticed they'd all taken root fairly well, so that is encouraging.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, here we go, new pictures.

One of the inhabitants...

This is how I dose ferts...I just use seachem ferts and following the dosing guide you see...

A closer shot of some of the cabomba.

As you can see, I haven't replanted the riccia yet. Any suggestions/tips for how to keep it down?

My hope is that those plants grow in some to conceal the filter. The shrimp seem to like the plants though. I'd also like to add some more hygro, so I may take some trimmings from another tank and add them in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yay! An update! :) I think it's coming along nicely. I forgot that this isn't your only tank (haha). As for what else you can add to the tank, I say add some nerite snails to eat any algae you may encounter. They won't reproduce in your tank so that's a plus. Is that RCS you added? If so, sweet! I say try adding some HC to the foreground, it makes a really nice looking carpet when it takes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The sad thing is...it is probably the nicest looking tank at the moment...it's the very beginning of the tank bug...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts