The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Just set up my first planted aquarium last night, and pretty excited to see it running. I have some questions, but first some info: it is 10 gallons, and I have a 50W heater keeping the tank at 25 degrees at the moment. Fluorescent bulb for lighting, and a standard non-sponge filter.

Here it is:

I have two Microsorium pteropus varieties out front, a Limnophila sessiliflora under the filter stream, a Hygrophila corymbosa in the back right corner, and an Echinodorus osiris in the back between the two pieces of driftwood.

Here's some detail of the L. sessiliflora and one of the M. pteropus:

The E. osiris didn't take the planting very well, and one leaf is half black and fairly limp. The stalk is still healthy... anything I can do to help it rebound?

The driftwood has lots of green algae and one or two bits of Taxiphyllum barbieri. There are also at least two types of snails, one kind pictured here:

And just for fun, a Betta splendens I was babysitting over Christmas.

First, what lighting and techniques do the photographers out there use to take good pictures of their tanks? I'm guessing a longer exposure at night might be kind of nice, and I definitely need to polish the glass on the outside. I'm only using an internal flash at the moment.

Second, what fish do people recommend to incorporate into an aquarium like this? I've looked at Puntius tetrazona (Barbs), a Beaufortia kweichowensis (Hillstream loach), or perhaps some Poecilia reticulata (Guppies). Unfortunately, there isn't a great selection of fish in my area... particularly this time of year.

Thanks for looking,

Ryan

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
well you're off to a better start than most. take that java fern, and get some black cotton thread and tie it to the driftwood. if that's one piece of wood, i'd try to get a smaller piece. if it's two, take one out. it's too symmetrical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fish suggestions... yes that temperature would be in Celsius. I've been in water that was 28 Fahrenheit (North Atlantic) but I don't believe it could ever reach 25 Fahrenheit before freezing.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Take the plant bunches out. Plant the stems individually. Is the M. pteropus attached to wood? I can't tell.

The E. Osiris will eventually outgrow that tank. However, your lighting is very feeble. Enough to grow the ferns, for sure, but you may have difficulties with the other plants.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Take the plant bunches out. Plant the stems individually. Is the M. pteropus attached to wood? I can't tell.

The E. Osiris will eventually outgrow that tank. However, your lighting is very feeble. Enough to grow the ferns, for sure, but you may have difficulties with the other plants.
for some reason, mentioning this slipped my mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.