The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the hobby and plan on getting a 40-gallon breeder tank. I'd like to keep it low-tech and plan on using low-light plants. I've been doing a lot of research online (forums, Youtube, etc). Please look at my inventory list below and let me know if you have any tips/replacements/recommendations.

• Filter: Fluval C4 HOB Power Filter (plan on improving the mechanical filtration with Blue-Maxx filter and replacing chemical filtration with Fluval Bio-Max)
  • Lighting: Finnex Stingray 36" LED Light
  • Heater: Fluval M 150 Watt Heater
  • Tetra 77848 Whisper Air Pump (40 Gallon) and some simple air stones)
  • Substrate: Flora-Max as the bottom substrate layer. Play Sand (only 2" deep to avoid pockets) as the top substrate layer
  • Plants: Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss (I'd like to add some type of grassy carpet for the floor, but I'm guessing that may not work for the low-light, low-tech tank. Would Pygmy Chain Sword work? I'd really like Dwarf Baby Tears but I'm guessing I'd need a brighter light, which would mean I'd have to have a high-tech tank, correct?)
  • Fish: I'm going to start with 6 Neon Tetras, and a Glo-Fish or two. I was thinking about adding a couple Mystery Snails to help with algae.
  • Hardscaping: I'd love to get driftwood, but am having a hard time finding anything natural here in Greensboro, NC. Any recommendations that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'd also like to have Dragon Stone in there, but again, don't want to spend a fortune.
Would I need any additive besides de-chlorinator for a setup like this? I'm hoping that, by using Flora-Max, I won't need to add anything to the water to feed the plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible due to budgetary concerns. Any idea how much maintenance would be needed on this? I assume 50% water changes every week?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.