The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup guys.... been readin for a while, but finally decided to post. One quick question.... I've got a 55 gallon tank w/ bout 15 fish (e.g. Angel, Tiger, Gourami etc). I'm tryn to upgrade my filtration, and got a good deal on a Rena Filstar Canister Filter XP3. which I believe does 350 G/H!!! is that too much for my tank?? also, I also am tryn to grow few bunch of plants in there.... any advise much appreciated. thnx ahead.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I dont "think" that 350gph is too much, but I have been wrong before! What plants are you trying to grow?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

I think that filter will be great. Theres no harm in "over" filtering. The only problem you may have is the flow coming from it may be strong. I think the Rena's are adjustable, but if they aren't you can always add a spray bar or face the output slightly towards the wall of the aquarium to reduce the water movement in the tank.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont "think" that 350gph is too much, but I have been wrong before! What plants are you trying to grow?
Thnx Jake, I thought so as well... just wasnt sure. Plants tryn to grow are, ludwigia (think), ROTALA SP., Anubias Barteri, Wisteria, Vallisneria Spiralis, Dwarf Hair Grass, Java Fern, Dwarf Baby Tears and 2 types of Moss.... :icon_smil

Welcome to TPT!

I think that filter will be great. Theres no harm in "over" filtering. The only problem you may have is the flow coming from it may be strong....
thnx Solid... make perfect sense bout da flow comin in too strong... and if no control knob, then I'll try w/ da other method. thnx again :hihi:

·
Registered
567 Posts
What kind of light do you have on the tank? It sounds like you've picked out a nice variety of easy plants. However, the standard lights that come with a 55 gallon tank (I think it's 2 15 watt bulbs?) isn't enough light really.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of light do you have on the tank? It sounds like you've picked out a nice variety of easy plants. However, the standard lights that come with a 55 gallon tank (I think it's 2 15 watt bulbs?) isn't enough light really.
lol, no stock light. (took me few years to realize that). Here's da thing. I've had my fish tanks for over 10 years. and after few attempt before earlier on, I had given up on plants (was young, and these wonderful forum's weren't available)..... this is my re-awakened hobby... :icon_smil

I'm tryn cheapest way possible to grow plants. got 2 shop light stand, both holding 4 (48"), 40 watts T12 Daylight fluorescent bulbs. Thats Total 160 watts. I should've went w/ da T-8's but figured give it a try this way, if not will upgrade. think I'll be OK w/ this setup?!? :icon_surp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts