The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a high tech tank that has been set up about a month and a half. I have recently noticed staghorn algae scattered around on plant leaves and also a stringy, I'm assuming hair, algae on my Christmas moss. Can anyone help me figure out why?

Water parameters are:
7 ph
0 no2
0 nh3
20 no3
12 gh
188 ppm kh

My co2 is at 30.2 ppm if the calculator figured it right, I don't have a clue!
I dose 6ml of Thrive+ 3 days a week and do a 50% water change every Saturday. Lights come on at 10:00 AM and off at 5:00 PM.

This is my current 60 gallon tank setup.
Plant Water Plant community Green Pet supply
Plant Water Plant community Green Pet supply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your tank is very beautiful,
Do you have a drop checker to see if you CO² level is ideal?
I do have a drop checker. It is always stable at a lime green color and thank you! 😊 I'm getting new plants tomorrow as I want more color and I need to pull some of the Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus up as it really shades that corner. I have to trim this tank almost every week now or it looks unruly. I just hate this algae! It's not so much that I can't control it, but I would like to know why it's happening. 😬

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your tank looks really good, I've experienced similar staghorn algae during the first few months. It usually clears up as the tank balances itself out. Trim the impacted areas where possible to prevent the spread. also found that dosing liquid carbon in addition to co2 helps keep algae at bay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your tank looks really good, I've experienced similar staghorn algae during the first few months. It usually clears up as the tank balances itself out. Trim the impacted areas where possible to prevent the spread. also found that dosing liquid carbon in addition to co2 helps keep algae at bay.
How much and how often do you dose the liquid carbon? I ended up pulling off the moss I had on the rock, it was making me crazy. I did a mini revamp yesterday!!!
Plant Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant Wood

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The answer is almost certainly that you have too much light for the amount and type of plants and fertilizer you have in your tank. I see you have 2 different lights on your tank. By sight I can not identify them but its very likely you should ditch one of your lights.

When I first went high tech I thought that if I'm pumping the co2 hard then I can put as much light as I want and everything will be great. There are people rolling around with crazy 300+ par setups after all so my measly 100 par setup should be fine.. right??? No.. as it turns out that was not right.

It seems the people with those crazy 300+ par setups are really really careful with fertilizer and with what types of plants they grow and where and how much of different species. So yeah, its a pain. Much easier to lower your light to around 30-40 par at substrate and go easy on co2 so you don't gas your fish by accident if your co2 doesn't turn off one night.

Do that and you shouldn't keep getting new algae, but it won't do anything for your existing staghorn. To deal with that I suggest looking into the "One Two Punch" on the forum. It will tell you how to kill algae but it might or might not kill any fish in the tank as well, possibly your moss..... yeah staghorn sucks.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would agree that if co2 is good, then too much light is the most likely problem. But overall the tank looks really good. I see a lot of really good healthy looking plants, which means you are doing a lot of things right. So I wouldn't recommend making drastic changes. Are either of your lights dimmable? Maybe you could reduce the intensity a little and see what happens.

I also agree with the one two punch. I've had good success with it and never had it harm my fish.......even my Discus. I would probably do that first. It's possible that once you are done, the algae won't come back. If it does, lowering your light a little should help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Perfection is only temporary, and I think your tank looks great. You'll be weeding out excess soon enough.

My wife and I have three tanks, and I have to begrudgingly admit that her 29G low tech tank looks the best. Of course it has clippings from our 90G high tech tank, so it had a great start. But it has looked very good for a year now, and is very stable. The 90G is certainly supercharged and I have an enormous melon sword that looks like it needs to be in a 500G, but the high tech tank needs a lot more care and maintenance.

I'm of the opinion now that the ideal start is a very big tank with a ton of plants, CO2 injection and heavy lighting with plenty of fertilizers, and then . . . gradually go low tech. Other factors in my 90G: Eight big angels and RO water. Powerhead is essential, too. The 29G has three corydoras. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts