The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to fresh water aquariums. I have a 250gal reef setup but I just couldn't help myself and I wanted to try something new and different so I bought a 75gal tank and decided to make it into a planted tank. I have just a couple of questions, is it necessary to have an air pump with a bubbler in the tank? And my second question is do I have to have power heads in the tank to move water? I am currently running a fx5 filter so I was thinking a power head might be over kill?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Nope, an airstone is not necessary. As long as you have a bit of movement on the surface from your filter, that'll allow plenty of gas exchange.

You'll only need powerheads if you need more flow in your tank. If you don't think more flow is necessary, definitely don't add one.

You should consider starting a journal for your tank (Tank Journal section) so we can all following along with you and help answer questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.