The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've actually been around for around a month, but still new I guess. I haven't had a fish tank in a few years, which is actually sort of sad, but when I finally had some space due to settling into my most recent home I started to do some research on what I wanted. Due to a lack of space (the only place is on my desk) I had to settle with a smaller tank. Never having to have to deal with such a small tank before I decided I would have to be as creative with it as possible.

My grandmother bred fish and ran a store from her home for many years, even building custom made aquariums (from which she drew most of her business). As a result of this, my own father become fond of the fishkeeping hobby and so we were never without at least one fish tank (see from whence my own interest sprang?) Having grown up with a larger tank background, I had no idea what I should do with mine.

My LFS had a heavily planted tank set up for a short while, and that is when I first realized plants could be a focal point in a tank. From there research began, and I became obsessed with the idea (I am sort of a plant hoarder to begin with, I love my houseplants).

So I had my desk and was ready for the tank (which I dubbed my "muse tank" for I determined that the fish kept there would serve to aid me in moments of writer's block). I arranged to get my first set of plants after I discovered an ad on craigslist, and the rest is history.

My tank is doing better than I had expected after a month. I had thought I would lose a plant or two, but have instead had the joy of witnessing new growth. When fish were added I realized they posed more a distraction as opposed to being muses, but perhaps I had simply forgotten how enjoyable it is to watch them.

I have enjoyed perusing the forums and look forward to continuing to do so. Hello all, my name is Christina and I have an aquaria addiction.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree with pics. Also welcome to the wonderful world of planted tanks, where you can have an awsome looking tank or you can kill all your fish in one blow by over co2ing your tank. :)

It's definitely a great hobby and worth working on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, thanks for the greetings. I'll try to get some pics up in a week or so. The only camera I have is on my work phone and it sort of...or should I say...entirely sucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.