The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the hobby and made a rookie mistake, I added wood without boiling it and my water has never been clear since. I've been doing water changes with treated city water 2 times a week and sometimes more with no avail, still yellow. 2nd issue is I have no idea which barbs are male and which are female but I think I have all male. Any help would be amazing. Hope the link is ok. http://instagr.am/p/CSGeHhmjBcD/

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you don't want to wait the tannins out, purigen should work well to remove the discoloration. If the water is heavily stained you might exhaust the purigen quickly. It can be recharged though.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
yea it's a combo of chemical filtration and water changes, almost daily, this is usually done before fish are added not to stress them out though, so maybe water changes every 2-3 days

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
Some woods can take years (literally) to stop leeching tannins but they don't hurt anything. Running carbon in the filter will help with water clarity as long as you change it monthly. Can't sex your tiger barbs by what I see there but unless you plan to breed, it shouldn't matter much. They're sturdy fish that eat anything with a reputation for nipping fins, regardless of gender.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts