The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so in switching over to fertilizing with dry ferts, e.i. Method.... I've been dosing with flourish, leafzone for iron, flourish trace, and aquavitro nitrogen..... Been kinda doing every other day with micro macro thing.... Wasn't percise enough at all for me so I purchased the ei package from Greenleaf online..... Has a pound each of micro macro.... Plantex for traces.
I don't want to screw this up, I've done my research but an a little confused for dosing amounts... What's the best route, just dosing drys or a mix for say the week for instance. Does the mix need to be refrigerated? I have a lot of red plants, will I need more iron? Anything else dosing wise I'm missing?

Tank is a 36 gallon dirted, heavily planted pressurized co2, pair of angels, few dwarf neon rainbows, tetras, bushy nose, oto fleet and some amazing shrimp :) 0/0/10-20 with nitrate dosing... 3kh.... 3wpg, 4x24inch t5s

So if someone could help me come up with a good formula solution for say a week or whatever... I only have spoons down to 1/4 tsp.... I also have a small gram scale if that makes it easier? All help is much appreciated guys and gals? and can I now put away the flourish, flourish trace, and leafzone?? Or will I still possibly need it?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html

The Estimative Index is a method of adding fertilizers in excess of plant needs, then a big weekly water change to reduce that excess.

It is not set in stone, but a place to start.

Here is how I do this:
Figure out how much I will use in 1 week. Put that into 2 bottles:
macros in one bottle, micros in the other.

Figure out how much I want to dose daily. I dose 1ml /3 gallons of tank volume.
I cannot dissolve the ferts any more concentrated than that. So add up all the gallons of all the tanks, and put in that many milliliters of water into each bottle. (ie: I dose 1000 gallons worth of tanks, so I put 1000 ml of water in each bottle)
Shake well.
M, W, F dose 1ml/3 gallons of macros.
Tu, Th, Sa dose 1ml/3 gallons of micros.
Su = 50% water change.

Next, I tested the water after 1 week, and found in some tanks (heavily stocked, moderate light) the NO3 was climbing more than I wanted it to, from fish food.
Since fish food has N, P and most traces, I modified the recipe so I was dosing a lot less N, P and traces, but added K2SO4 for potassium, and chelated iron.

Once you figure out how you want to dose you can mix larger batches. You can keep them refrigerated, or add Excel to the bottles. I find the Excel does not actually stop the goo, but slows it down a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, I did something very similar. Since the low measurements would of been tough for me to find, I just multiplied my micro/macro mixes by three made up 21 ml solutions of each and just dose 7 ml per bottle everyother day.... Make up new solutions every week and refrigerate. If that makes any sense lol.... Loving the control and of course the price of the new dry ferts.... Will see if results are as impressive . Thanks again for your help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.