The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for my 75 gallon tank (link to journal is in my sig) I've been needing to have some sort of pressurized co2 system. I know that right now I don't have much in terms of plants, but that will be changing quickly. I also know that, with my lighting and dosing (EI) I really should be running co2.

So my question is this.....what the hell do I get? This is going to be a big part of what I am getting this christmas from my parents, so I want to be able to tell them exactly what it is that I need. Since I know next to nothing about co2 injection, I guess that buying a complete set-up would be better than buying all the parts separately and trying to connect it all together and whatnot.

Basically, what is the best and simplest way for me to get a pressurized co2 system going for my 75 gallon? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
Since it does not seem you are looking to buy the parts separately and assemble them, the option that you have, as you already mentioned, is to purchase a complete setup.

You can buy either a commercially available setup, or one from one of the many users that sells complete setups.

It all depends on your budget, your needs, etc.

Once you have one of these setups, you will also need a CO2 cylinder. For a large aquarium such as yours, I would recommend at least a 10 pound or even a 20 pound (if you can afford the space) cylinder, so that you do not need to make refills as often.

For more information regarding pressurized CO2 (albeit aimed more at those that are looking to build their own setup, but still validly applicable to your situation), please take a look at the article that I wrote (linked in my signature).

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^Thanks, I'll definitely be taking a look into those links.

What do you mean by my "needs" though? Tbh, the only thing I know I need is pressurized co2....not really sure what you mean by that. I'm rather clueless, I know lol

Also, where does one buy a CO2 cylinder? I'm assuming getting the 10 or 20 lb tank is the easy part lol

Also, if there are any particular commercial made setups or forum members that you could send me to, that'd be great. I'm not exactly sure who sells these things.

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
^Thanks, I'll definitely be taking a look into those links.

What do you mean by my "needs" though? Tbh, the only thing I know I need is pressurized co2....not really sure what you mean by that. I'm rather clueless, I know lol

Also, where does one buy a CO2 cylinder? I'm assuming getting the 10 or 20 lb tank is the easy part lol

Also, if there are any particular commercial made setups or forum members that you could send me to, that'd be great. I'm not exactly sure who sells these things.
Regarding your needs, it means things like if you want to have it on a timer (then a solenoid is needed), whether you need to plumb it to multiple aquariums, etc.

A solenoid is recommended for ease of use (so that you don't have to worry at all about turning it on/off), but it is not required, per se.

For the CO2 cylinder, a welding store, hydroponics stores, or stores that cater to beer-making at home should have CO2 cylinders.

As you are in the States, I believe oldpunk78 and bettatail offer regulator setups (check the Swap and Shop subsection of these forums). I usually deal with the Canadian side :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Another good source of CO2 is industrial gas supply places. Down here in MD we have a place called Roberts Oxygen. You buy the tank from them and swap out cylinders when yours runs out.

Get the biggest cylinder you can afford and fit under your stand. CO2 gas is dirt cheap, most of the cost goes into paying someone to fill the cylinder. Down my way a 5lb tank refill costs around $20 while a 10lb refill costs around $25. For $28 or so you can get a 20lb tank filled.

Regarding your needs, it means things like if you want to have it on a timer (then a solenoid is needed), whether you need to plumb it to multiple aquariums, etc.

A solenoid is recommended for ease of use (so that you don't have to worry at all about turning it on/off), but it is not required, per se.

For the CO2 cylinder, a welding store, hydroponics stores, or stores that cater to beer-making at home should have CO2 cylinders.

As you are in the States, I believe oldpunk78 and bettatail offer regulator setups (check the Swap and Shop subsection of these forums). I usually deal with the Canadian side :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts