The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SeaClear "50" gallon aquarium with an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter for 2 fancy goldfish and a few snails and shrimp. I'd like to add more filtration because goldfish are disgusting poop machines. I'm hoping that running a canister with the HOB will keep the water cleaner for the fish in between weekly water changes. I've never used a canister before and there is a huge range of prices for them. I'd appreciate any recommendations/advice about the best options for my tank. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Eheim is a very good name in canister filters. With that said, the National Geographic filters are a direct copy for significantly less money.
SunSun and AquaTOP are copies of the Marineland design, again for less money and with some minor improvements.
Fluval filters are very nice, but you pay for the name.
Filstar filters are also ok filters but for the money I would go with AquaTOP.

Go with a filter rated at 100 gallons or more and you should be just fine with your gold fish.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
When pricing and shopping be careful to watch for the media. If it is not included in the price, you have to cough us a bunch for media or DIY something so just be aware that some try to make you think you are getting something you may not.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have eheim g160s on my 55s they work perfectly.

I have a 2217 on my 50 that also works perfectly.

I could go on and on about how many eheims i have they rock never had had a problem and i have 10 g65, 2028, 2215, g90, 2217, 2028, 2 g160s, 2078, 2080, i have never had a problem with any of them. I had a fluval 405 once it made more noise than any of my eheims and it broke a cheap plastic part after 2 years and i replaced it and sold it.

I do run a fx5 on my 75, have had no problems. It is loud compared to the eheims though and it uses 20 watts more power than my 2080.

Kens fish has the cheapest pricing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.