The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

At the LFS they showed me a BN pleco. Was quite nice, black with the usual white spots.

I have never kept these before. What are the things to watch out for in terms of aggression, feeding habbits, territorial nature? Do I need to put in special sinking food for them? Are they veggies?

Would they play well with: angelfish, ranbows, rams, peral gouramis, rummynose tetras, harlequin rasboras?

Do they eat a lot of variety of algae? They dont get larger than 4-5 inches right?

Are they big waste producers?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Hi,

At the LFS they showed me a BN pleco. Was quite nice, black with the usual white spots.

I have never kept these before. What are the things to watch out for in terms of aggression, feeding habbits, territorial nature? Do I need to put in special sinking food for them? Are they veggies?

Would they play well with: angelfish, ranbows, rams, peral gouramis, rummynose tetras, harlequin rasboras?

Do they eat a lot of variety of algae? They dont get larger than 4-5 inches right?

Are they big waste producers?

Thanks in advance!
I'd say that they aren't really aggressive with anything. Maybe with themselves but only if there aren't enough hiding spaces. I throw them the usual vegetarian stuff like algae wafers and the like, veggies are always appreciated though. Zucchini is my go to (I guess cucumber works as well but I just prefer zucchini only because I prefer eating zucchini myself lol)

Yup, I keep mine with my cichlids and bichirs and rainbows and congos and (list goes on) but they don't bother anyone in the slightest.

They are known for it, and I feel like my algae has gone down a little with having these guys around (I do need more though). I guess they get 4-5" but honestly if yours gets that big its on the larger side for sure (which is what we should all aim for with our fish, getting to max size and all). They might just be my favorite pleco though, so many different varieties.

In general plecos are larger waste producers than other fish their size, but I don't think its overly noticeable in a planted tank or anything. They poop a good healthy amount, I can say that much lol.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have found if you have driftwood they will make a huge amount if waste that seems to be there favorite thing, my pleco stays under a rock most of the time and comes out at night to eat algae off the rocks , the bumble bee cichlids are very curious of him and annoy him playing with his tail , lately he will push back.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Bristle noses, also known as ancistrus, are easy to breed...males will claim a cave, spawn with females in it, and guard the eggs until they hatch. The fry will take algae, blanched vegetables, and after a few days bbs.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
bristle nose can get up to 6 inches. they need veggies and wood in their diet. chola wood is great for them. zucchini is good to add to the tank and i found out mine like spinach. i just weighted down a large leaf and it took them a couple days to eat. as for territory they are fine unless you have a couple males in a small space. you will also need to put in some kind of cave, be it man made out of clay, bamboo tube (my fave ) or people even use pvc pipe. some people have said they will rasp on sword leaves but i never had this problem. they are peaceful fish. temps in the mid to upper 70's is good for them. as for algae they will munch what is on the glass but they dont eat hair algae and stuff like that. mine never did a great job of cleaning the glass either.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=49

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have several of them that are 6 inches and produce a lot of waste. They need real driftwood for digestion. Some of mine are about 12 years old.
Beside zucchini they also like canned green beans and shelled frozen peas, Algae wafers are a must, along with some tetra min tablets. Mine also love brine shrimp sticks. I would not add more than one BN per 30 gal. Mine have never messed with the plants but I do not keep delicate plants in tanks with BNs. Only swords, vals, crypts, anubias and the likes.
I have clay caves, wooden (oak) caves, and had PVC pipes and bamboo caves. They will take to either of them as long as they fit inside. A 1.5" to 1.75" diameter opening is best depending on the size of the BN. The cave should be 6 to 7 inches long. Bamboo caves and wood caves do deteriorate over time but it takes a long time. The easiest pleco to breed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recently took three 2" Albino BN Pleco's back to Petco. I originally purchased them at 1" and I planned on giving them away at 3" but one (alpha) became quite aggressive with his brethren so I moved up my time table and took them to Petco. I purchased 3 small 1/2" black BN Pleco's to replace them and I will re-home these when they reach 2". My tank is too small to keep them at over 3" adequately, but they do a good job at keeping my glass spotless. I find them worth the hassle.

Video of my Pleco's fighting.

Youtube

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.