The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up 5 amano shrimp to kind of help in my efforts to clear up some significant algae growth in my tank. I have a 55 gallon peaceful with all kinds fish and they seem to be doing just great. They really like pruning the green hair like algae I have on a big piece of drift wood.

My real question is I have noticed quite a few of them have molted and the old shells are laying around the tank. Any recommendation as to what I should do with those? Can will they become food at some point for the tank inhabitants or should I just manually remove them?

Sorry if this is a stupid/covered question.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The molted exoskeleton is a great source of calcium for the shrimp. They will eventually eat them, and usually it does not take long to do so. The molts also become food for snails, and pretty much any invertebrate in the aquarium!

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
When I had shrimp I left them because it is the shrimps only chance to gain calcium that directly.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I don't think Shrimp Shells have any Calcium in them.
i think shrimp shells are almost all calcium.
lobsters eat there own shells after molting to resuply calcium lost during the process. the shrimp we keep are almost like baby lobsters.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i think shrimp shells are almost all calcium.
lobsters eat there own shells after molting to resuply calcium lost during the process. the shrimp we keep are almost like baby lobsters.
I'll take your word for it. I had previously thought shrimp shells were mostly chitin but I'm definately a novice on freshwater varieties.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts