The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, Im new to make a vivarium and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get started and what i should use to attach things to the sides. Im doing this to a 150gal tank. i have some ideas but i want more oppions before i really get started. right now i know im going to put 4 giant african millipedes maybe some madigascar hissing roaches. possible a tree frog (or frog of some sort) its going to have a water area i was thinking of puting fish (gold fish not sure) and possible a turtle again not sure about that. If at all possible i would like to be able to incorperate my taranchula somewhere.. i would love any input that anyone has for me!!

Thanks for reading
GalaxyGirl

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, my first word of advice is to DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! It's undoubtedly the single most important part of being able to maintain a feasible vivarium while keeping both your flora and fauna happy. Check out the forums around the internet about different vivaria, including the following sites:

www.dendroboard.com
www.blackjungle.com
www.vivariumforums.com
www.amphibiancare.com
www.thechocohut.com

I can't say that I know of any really good insect forums- you'll have to look for those yourself.

As for your water section, stay away from goldfish. They're messy, big, and don't tolerate the tropical temperatures necessary to maintain the vivarium very well. Again, make certain that you do lots of research. Depending upon the size of the water section, you can decide between a vast array of aquatic flora and fauna. You need to provide us with some more information before we can be very helpful.

Be careful that your millipedes and cockroaches don't bother the other inhabitants (if you're going to include amphibians.) Hylids are largely nocturnal, so a hungry cockroach could easily take a bite out of an amphibian's sensitive skin while he's sleeping. It's hard to mix various animal and insect species because the dynamic of their interactions and various behaviours. Now, seeing that you have a rather enormous vivarium at your disposal, you may be able to overcome some of these issues, but do so at your own risk (and that of the creatures under your care.)

Well, if you provide us with a little more info, I'll be able to help you better. Until then, do lots of research, and keep us posted. Good luck!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
hmm of the top of my head...

millipedes feed on organics so plants will either have to be non toxic and fast growing, or plastic...they eat a lot and if they start breeding the damage to plants goes up.

hissing roaches...same as above only much more likely to breed and survive.

spiders...predators not so good with prey (millipedes and roaches) unless its some how creatively and securely kept separatly.

frogs...not safe too many chances of injuries from insect...

just my experiences trying similar things. personally a big roach or millipede tank would be cool, not a ton of day time activity but very few other people would have one :).

jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
The turtle would eat everything...if not just little nibbles to test it out which wouldnt hold up well with the rest of your fauna...

Like it was said before I think you need to do a little more research...Google is a good start...Go to www.dendroboard.com as well...great site for beginners in vivariums...I would also suggest possible trying something a little smaller off first to get your feet wet...a 150 gal tank is a beautiful tank and would look spectacular setup but some of the little mistakes that you make in a 30 gal tank could be monsterous ones in a bigger tank not to mention the cost of supplies...

You are on the right track by asking questions though...do some research and i'm sure you soon find out some of the possibilities available to you..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts