The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the three week mark of setting up a Fluval Spec III for a betta.

I need a new timer for the lights as my old one which hasen't been in use in years, which i orgionally snitched from our outdoor christmas light box, has gone on the fritz. I had it scheduled for 3 hours on 4 hours off 3 hours on. At some point last week it stopped turning off after the 3 hours.
So anyway need a new timer, went looking online blah, blah blah and got swamped with options.

Ive also seen options that are supposes to simulate a sunrise/sunset and how supposdly crucial that is for fish and plants.....
So any thoughts on that statement. Or if the light on the Fluval is even dimmable.
Looking for something reliable, quite, eaay to set up, and allows for multipual on off times.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
You won't be able to dim your LED fixture for sunrise/sunset options. But there are tons of timer options.

Do you want mechanical? If so, hit up your local big box hardware store and buy one for under $5.

Do you want something 'smart'? If so, consider getting a TP-Link/Kasa smart plug for $10ish or less. You can set it from your phone or tablet and then forget it. It'll readjust after a power outage and everything.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't be able to dim your LED fixture for sunrise/sunset options. But there are tons of timer options.

Do you want mechanical? If so, hit up your local big box hardware store and buy one for under $5.

Do you want something 'smart'? If so, consider getting a TP-Link/Kasa smart plug for $10ish or less. You can set it from your phone or tablet and then forget it. It'll readjust after a power outage and everything.
Thats what i thought in reguard to the sunrise/sunset but found so many conflicting reports I thought ied ask.

I woould be happy with a mechnical or smart. Mechnical would probably be better for me at the moment since im in the market for a new phone.
Any brand recommendations? I dont even know what the brand is of my old one its been around so long, lol.
Anyway it was just one of those things were over researching becomes a issue.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
I'm loathe to link to Amazon, so search for "Kasa Smart Plug Ultra Mini 15A" and you'll find a 2-pack for ~$15 if you click a coupon. They'll have them at your local hardware store, too. I'd get that instead of going mechanical. For real. A million times easier and useful for all kinds of things. And you'll have an extra to stick on a lamp or something. Or even another tank. They're nice to have because you can turn things on/off when out of the home or set them in vacation mode for when you're away.

You don't even have to be a nerd to set them up. App will work well with Android or iOS of just about any version. All you do is set the time you want it to turn on, off, on and off. Quick and easy. I just set up a new one this morning and I think it was faster than punching down all the little tabs on a mechanical timer and then having to manually set the time.

But if you're set on mechanical timers at Home Depot, I think the cheapest ones are GE. They'll end up costing about $10 for a 2-pack. There are fancier ones, for sure, but they probably won't be worth it since you're just running a Spec LED.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm loathe to link to Amazon, so search for "Kasa Smart Plug Ultra Mini 15A" and you'll find a 2-pack for ~$15 if you click a coupon. They'll have them at your local hardware store, too. I'd get that instead of going mechanical. For real. A million times easier and useful for all kinds of things. And you'll have an extra to stick on a lamp or something. Or even another tank. They're nice to have because you can turn things on/off when out of the home or set them in vacation mode for when you're away.

You don't even have to be a nerd to set them up. App will work well with Android or iOS of just about any version. All you do is set the time you want it to turn on, off, on and off. Quick and easy. I just set up a new one this morning and I think it was faster than punching down all the little tabs on a mechanical timer and then having to manually set the time.

But if you're set on mechanical timers at Home Depot, I think the cheapest ones are GE. They'll end up costing about $10 for a 2-pack. There are fancier ones, for sure, but they probably won't be worth it since you're just running a Spec LED.
Sweet Ill look that one up, sounds good and a 2 pack would be nice as fingures crossed, once ive finished my pond ill be able to overhaul my 36bow and will need another timer.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi @Gilly13 , +1 for @somewhatshocked suggestion to use KASA Smart Plugs. I got rid of all my timers and went to Smart Plug Mini's and will never go back. No more re-setting after a power outage. Easy to turn on and off during times when I want to do maintenance...just use my Smartphone app. -Roy

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
So on the three week mark of setting up a Fluval Spec III for a betta.

I need a new timer for the lights as my old one which hasen't been in use in years, which i orgionally snitched from our outdoor christmas light box, has gone on the fritz. I had it scheduled for 3 hours on 4 hours off 3 hours on. At some point last week it stopped turning off after the 3 hours.
So anyway need a new timer, went looking online blah, blah blah and got swamped with options.

Ive also seen options that are supposes to simulate a sunrise/sunset and how supposdly crucial that is for fish and plants.....
So any thoughts on that statement. Or if the light on the Fluval is even dimmable.
Looking for something reliable, quite, eaay to set up, and allows for multipual on off times.
Depending where the power brick is will decide if it is dimmable or not.
More than likely a DIY job but pretty simple

Looks like it runs off a DC out wall wart so probably any of a dozen timers/dimmers will work.
As to needing it.. well no but sure is err "natural" and keeps jumpy fish in line..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Current USA makes a light Serene Sun Pro, with automatic sun rising sun set feature in its eight hour timer. I’m currently using this light on my 120 P and it’s really cool however the timer function is a nightmare. I currently have it set to a WiFi timer And it turns on with a sunrise for some reason. The light is really nice however If you spend the time to learn how to use it properly I’m sure I can get what you want out of it. I’m just too lazy lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have a Bluetooth and app controlled light such as the Chihiros wrgb or similar you can simulate both sunrise, sunset with ease. If you light is not app enabled but has a power adapter and a DC plug you can use a controller gadget to setup the photoperiod and the dimming for the sunrise and sunset.

There is a YouTube video that details this.

With this gadget intensity can be adjusted not at individual channel level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy crap, I almost didnt even check this thread tonight, figured I would order my smart timer and be on my way lol.

Hi @Gilly13 , +1 for @somewhatshocked suggestion to use KASA Smart Plugs. I got rid of all my timers and went to Smart Plug Mini's and will never go back. No more re-setting after a power outage. Easy to turn on and off during times when I want to do maintenance...just use my Smartphone app. -Roy
Thanks for seconding the KASA, got em sitting my amazom cart. Not having to worry about resetting after power outages is wonderful, being in Michigan means I see my fair share of em.

Looks like it runs off a DC out wall wart so probably any of a dozen timers/dimmers will work.
As to needing it.. well no but sure is err "natural" and keeps jumpy fish in line..
Ill look into this.... it midnight for me and reading all these techinal things is goung right over my head right now.
Thsnks for addressing if sunrise/sunset is necessary. It was one of those "down the rabbit hole" moments when i was looking up new timers. Didnt know if having a betta would make it more necessary.

Current USA makes a light Serene Sun Pro, with automatic sun rising sun set feature in its eight hour timer. I’m currently using this light on my 120 P and it’s really cool however the timer function is a nightmare. I currently have it set to a WiFi timer And it turns on with a sunrise for some reason. The light is really nice however If you spend the time to learn how to use it properly I’m sure I can get what you want out of it. I’m just too lazy lol
Ill add this to my check out list for posible future use. I need simple right now lol, planning, measuring etc of a 400gal pond is zapped all my willeness to deal with more complicated things.

If you have a Bluetooth and app controlled light such as the Chihiros wrgb or similar you can simulate both sunrise, sunset with ease. If you light is not app enabled but has a power adapter and a DC plug you can use a controller gadget to setup the photoperiod and the dimming for the sunrise and sunset.

There is a YouTube video that details this.

With this gadget intensity can be adjusted not at individual channel level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have not watched the video yet but this sounds like a good option. This is probably addressed in the video but is this device in addition to the timer or in place of?

Thanks for all the suggestions, blew away my expecations. Still going to order to the KASA and get that up because i can not be trusted at all to keep a consistant lighting schedual. That will give me time to explore other options.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
610 Posts
I was using Kasa smart plugs - they are great -, but then found a smart strip. I can now turn on and off all the devices independently during water changes without having to plug hunt. Plus I can set time schedules for those items that need it (CO2) - I don't need it for lights as all my lights are Fluval's on their own app. Note Fluval lights reset the internal time to 0:00 after a power outage until you open them in the app which sucks. Luckily I'm on a stable power grid.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts

That's the original fixture from about a decade ago.

Current line of Spec fixtures are SMD strips siliconed into an aluminum channel with an in-line touch sensor that complicates matters. For that reason, there's an entire community of modders who 3D print risers and such in order to dampen output in the tank.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts

Current line of Spec fixtures are SMD strips siliconed into an aluminum channel with an in-line touch sensor that complicates matters. For that reason, there's an entire community of modders who 3D print risers and such in order to dampen output in the tank.
5v power supply (old new one?) kind of kills the timer/ dimmer thing as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Well i ordered the KASA this am. Im not surprised at all about mods for this light its very intense makes photographing the tank a total pain.
The intinsity is nice because it allows me to grow more medium light plants. On the other hand this light is absolute hell on tank thats only been up and running a month. I have alot of Floating tiger thats been doing a decent job of dampening the light.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
I keep a layer or two of fiberglass window screen material laying across the top of my Spec tanks, depending upon light dampening needs. I don't notice them until I'm right up next to the tank and even then they're not a distraction. May be worth consideration in the future.

(This also helps prevent jumpers)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone ever gotton a PAR reading on the updated Fluval light?
I contacted Fluval earlier this month and have never heard back from them.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Has anyone ever gotton a PAR reading on the updated Fluval light?
I contacted Fluval earlier this month and have never heard back from them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thats exactly what i was looking for.
That PAR reading is insane i expected it to maybe be 35-45 PAR at substrate. It also leads into my next question about my concern of running this betta tank with only doseing liquid carbon is not possible?
The question in that thread was simular, expect for the fact that despite being completly ignorant in higher co2 setups, im willing to try someting in order to keep my current plant set up which inculdes some medium light plants.
Iam now stumped as where to go from here, i have limited space and had hoped i could hold off on a leaening about co2 setups until i was ready to tackle my 36bow.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Just cut down on on hours or put black plastic window screen to cut the light down.
The mesh in the original thread was black fiberglass windowing screening. Light reduction was 44%.
Shouldn't be too difficult to fab a cover for the "hole" if I' m looking at it right.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just cut down on on hours or put black plastic window screen to cut the light down.

Shouldn't be too difficult to fab a cover for the "hole" if I' m looking at it right.
No it wouldnt be too hard at all, stuff like this makes me wish i had (could afford) a PAR meter lol.
Ill fab a cover, see if i can raise the light up a bit and then slowly explore co2 options. Im really lacking on space so ill probably just have to explore mod options and light time.
The KASA timer will be a life saver.
Thanks for all the help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.